Temporary Insanity

chuck_35550

Ok, I ordered about $50.00 worth of colorants from TKB: Liquid gels-Slicker Yellow, Relay Race Red, School Daze Orange, Tomato Red, and liquid concentrates-Ultramarine Blue, Valentine Red, White and then Raspberry, Bluleberry and Apple Green Pops. I just don't do well with mixing powder or using solid color chips. Anybody have a review of the gels or liquids. I know most everyone likes the pops.

Thanks,

Steve

Why don't you do well with the powders first? The POPs are a dream to mix into soap, oil, glycerin whatever. They blend easily seriously.

And if you only spent $50, then you're only sane ... not insane. Nice try. Not that I'm bragging, because I'm not, but I spend way more than that and then I stand around oohing and ahhing over the colors until they don't come out how I want them to, but it's the beauty of it all.

lol. The pops are powder and the rest are gels and liquid. I couldn't resist trying the powders just in case. It IS insane because this was the tail end of a half-dozen orders for fall fos, wicks, warning labels and I still need wax. I may take my new toys and camp out at Babs' house so she can teach me how to swirl! Any bumps on the gels or liquids?

Thanks,

Steve

I sorta stayed with the powders. I felt the liquids and gels required me to use too much to get the color I was going for and that ended up being more costly than just using powders. This is me though, a person who also owns Select Shades and various other liquid dye products. However, I happen to like the diversity of Select Shades and the fact that 4 oz bottles are mostly long-lasting ... there are exceptions to the group though as in I use a lot of the colors that basically are supposed to make a red. I'm still in pursuit of the genuine red.

Chuck this is what I have learned

Ultramarines Marine = water mix them with water

Oxides start with an O mix with oil

Micas can be mix either way but I use water.

Find out if your gels are water soluable and mix them with water.

I had trouble with my celestial colors until I found out they are water soluable because of the glycerin in there now they mix fine with water.

Barbara AL

Thanks Barbara for the info. I can't wait to get my order (Monday I hope) and maybe try a mantra swirl or a hanger swirl. Trying to decide on a Soaphutch mold (18 bar hdpe) and a tank or maybe just selling all my worldly possessions and living in a cave making soap. Somebody give me a boost over the side about the mold insanity.

I knew you were going to jump in there, since you have one. Oh yeah, Rich sent me a list of the new Craftline molds. The CraftLine equivalent of the Bella is the Anna Jo. These new CraftLine combination molds are called Über Molds and each size has been named, in this case the Anna Jo.

It is a Combination

18-Bar Divider Mold with 2.5" x 3.5" compartments that are 4" deep,

3-Log Mold with 3.5" wide x 4" deep x 16.25" long chambers,

4-Log Mold with 2.5" wide x 4" deep x 16.25" long chambers,

Slab Mold with 11.5" wide x 4" deep x 16.75" chamber

I want it real bad but its a budget killer.

It would seem that is not the only consideration with this decision. It is all molds rolled into one and clean up should be a real breeze and unless I become a mass marketing soap king; it should be more than I will ever need. Thanks Scented for the positive remarks. You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

Steve

Well you can ... (the omelet thing lol) ... use fake eggs ha!

Seriously though, make your purchase according to what you want to aspire to do, not what you need ... I have somewhere around 15 soap molds because I didn't. If I would have, I would have stuck with Rich and been done with it.

The beauty of his big mama mold, it allows you to graduate into being bigger or at least get more things done lol.