Wick up for thicker container?

Hey!

Coming to a good "formular" for my containers (FINALLY!), but my 8 oz Libbey tumbler is thicker glass (maybe 1/4" thick) and is just barely burning to the edge. I'm using an ECO10 for GW464 as recommended by CS.

Should I wick-up for this container since it is thicker? I've heard the container thickness can play into everything.

Thanks for any suggestions!

-Suzy

Is this the first burn that's barely to the edge? If it is, then don't make any decisions about wicking up till you burn the container to the bottom. I personally find thicker container walls hold the heat longer, so by the time you reach the bottom of the container, you may decide to wick down one size, as the walls may be too hot. :cool2:

It has not been my experience that thickness of container plays any part in proper wicking. Maybe the material of the container, glass, pottery, or tin. But saying that I use the same wick in my tins that I do the same diameter glass and they work and perform the same. The depth of the container can cause some issues because there is a lack of adequate air exchange in really deep containers, but no I have never experienced issues with glass thickness. Also it's been my experience that wicking up is usually a substantial difference if staying with the same wick type, so that could be ALOT hotter if you go up.

Yes, it was the first burn. It burned about the same the second time, but I'm sure my wick isn't perfectly center either. It's pretty much burns completely on top, just a smidge (and I mean a smidge left over). I'll stick with it and see how it burns throughout the rest of it's life.

Thanks for the info!

I believe that is the former Crisa tumbler that Libbey bought out. I loved that container because of the wall thickness and the way it burned so evenly. I used a cd10 in that container and it was good for nearly every fo I tried in it (I use a 70/30 soy blend). You used to could get these great tin lids for em and then they disappeared. You can rest your head at night, because these suckers ain't gonna break from too much heat.