ingredient for skin brightening

kavim10

The only ingredients that come to mind are baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.. those are often used as skin brighteners, baking soda because it lightly exfoliates, making your skin brighter. Perhaps you could mix some into the bar... I really am not sure what that would do though. I havent tried it..

benzoyl peroxide brightens skin, and is found in some OTC detergent bars, im not sure about adding it to standard soap.. i wouldnt even know where to source it.

this bar brightens skin.. its sold as an "acne" bar but it lightens/brightens as well... http://www.dermstore.com/product_PanOxyl+Bar+10%25_945.htm

Active Ingredients: 10% Benzoyl Peroxide

Inactive Ingredients: Cetostearyl Alcohol, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Corn Starch, Glycerin, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Mineral Oil, PEG-14M, Silicon Dioxide, Sodium Potassium Lauryl Sulfate, Titanium Dioxide, Water

The only ingredients that come to mind are baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.. those are often used as skin brighteners, baking soda because it lightly exfoliates, making your skin brighter. Perhaps you could mix some into the bar... I really am not sure what that would do though. I havent tried it..

benzoyl peroxide brightens skin, and is found in some OTC detergent bars, im not sure about adding it to standard soap.. i wouldnt even know where to source it.

this bar brightens skin.. its sold as an "acne" bar but it lightens/brightens as well... http://www.dermstore.com/product_PanOxyl+Bar+10%25_945.htm

Active Ingredients: 10% Benzoyl Peroxide

Inactive Ingredients: Cetostearyl Alcohol, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Corn Starch, Glycerin, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Mineral Oil, PEG-14M, Silicon Dioxide, Sodium Potassium Lauryl Sulfate, Titanium Dioxide, Water

That "acne" bar cracks me up. Maybe I am wrong, but when I was a teenager, I remember reading all about acne and such, and it said that benzoyl peroxide is drying to the skin (therefore use it on the pimles directly, not all over the face), and mineral oil plugs up the pores (causing more pimples).

Back to the topic, woud anything exfoliating be skin brightening as well?

"PanOxyl Bars are unique, solid, soap-free cleansers for acne treatment."

You have to be realistic about lye. Additives are a guess at best as to how much escapes the saponificiation process. Anything is worth a try but I'd hesitate to say that your product brightens skin. I believe this is the area where Scented would best help you. HTH

Steve

Going to say this ... any soap promoted as an acne bar comes with a drug claim on it.

As for a skin brightener, what's the purpose behind doing this in a soap? There are products that lighten the skin. Is that what you're after? Because ... those things would most likely be better off used in other applications ... and if you're looking to sell this (eventually) I believe that might cross the boarder of soap and drug.

However ... when I think of brightener, I'm wondering if you just want to make someone appear sunny or have a sunny disposition (so make an exfoliating soap) or if you want to actually lighten the skin in which case there likely will be cautions that come with the product used too.

Hydrogen peroxide has a bleach affect on hair ... as in turns it orangy in appearance ... at least the hair I've seen has gone that way. I would stay away from it.

Edited by Scented