WOW....Scent Throw w Paraffin

We poured 4627 yesterday morning. We poured three 8 ounce jelly jars, wicked each with one of the suggested wicks from CS wick guide for testing (HTP52, LX16 and ECO2) and used CS Cinnamon Buns (1 oz/lb). Right now the HTP52 seems waaaay too small. I thought that seemed small, but it was suggested as one of the wicks to test, so we tried it. The LX and ECO are real similar in their burning, but we'll have to watch to see how they do as we continue to test. Anyway, we've been working with soy "forever" trying to get an awesome HT, but just can't. I know many do, but we just can't. We used J50 with our previous business and remembered that amazing throw before switching over to soy. OMG....I forgot what a very strong scent throw was really like. Our rooms are huge with an open floor plan and loft and this entire house smells like Cinnamon Buns. :yay:We'll continue to test this wax and try a few more fragrances in this as we go. I'm getting ready to place an order with NG for Blueberry Muffin. For 4627 users who happen to get fos from them...any "knock your socks off" fo suggestions for this wax ? I'm so excited to actually have a strongly scented candle....now "just" getting through the wick testing phase. :confused:

I buy my granulated paraffin from Just Scents, I love it! Plus just recently a friend of mine gave up her candle business, she is located in Washington state and bought all of her wicking from pourette, when Pourette went out of business, I guarded the little bit of wicking I had left and now that she gave up her business I purchased miles of cotton pourette wicking....the combination of both the wax and the wicking is what works best for me

We poured 4627 yesterday morning. We poured three 8 ounce jelly jars, wicked each with one of the suggested wicks from CS wick guide for testing (HTP52, LX16 and ECO2) and used CS Cinnamon Buns (1 oz/lb). Right now the HTP52 seems waaaay too small. I thought that seemed small, but it was suggested as one of the wicks to test, so we tried it. The LX and ECO are real similar in their burning, but we'll have to watch to see how they do as we continue to test. Anyway, we've been working with soy "forever" trying to get an awesome HT, but just can't. I know many do, but we just can't. We used J50 with our previous business and remembered that amazing throw before switching over to soy. OMG....I forgot what a very strong scent throw was really like. Our rooms are huge with an open floor plan and loft and this entire house smells like Cinnamon Buns. :yay:We'll continue to test this wax and try a few more fragrances in this as we go. I'm getting ready to place an order with NG for Blueberry Muffin. For 4627 users who happen to get fos from them...any "knock your socks off" fo suggestions for this wax ? I'm so excited to actually have a strongly scented candle....now "just" getting through the wick testing phase. :confused:

Just curious, why re-invent the wheel? Why not go back to J50 if you already have good formulas for it? Unless you have too much hair and want to pull it out. :laugh2:

Seriously though, I use 4630 which is much like 4627, they say, and J50 throws as good or better.

Hey everyone...haven't been on here for a couple of days and really appreciate the comments...and they really got me to thinking. Since getting back into candlemaking after taking some time off, I have struggled like crazy with the different waxes out there now. I think I'm trying to do to much. We have 464 and have been working with it for about a year now. We got a case of palm and love it too. But I really miss amazingly scented candles. So, I'm gonna have to jump in...I'm wasting too much time and money on stuff I'm not thrilled with. So...a question for you if you don't mind. I used J50 as I mentioned. At that time, we used zincs. Can I ask any J50 users (or J223 users as well), which wick have you been using that's been successful? I also remember using vybar, not only for our containers, but a different one for our pillar/votive wax. We are also searching for our "old wax" for pillars/votives. It had amazing throw. I belive it was MP145? Can't remember. Anyway, King House Candle Supply carried it (they were in WV) Is that still around and carried by another supplier? I know this is alot of questions, but any help would be appreciated. And Coconut....you're right...I'm gettin' tired of reinventing the wheel and I love my hair as it is. Thanks guys

Edited by lovemylabs

OK....I did it. I ordered J50. I kept going back and forth between J50 and J223. I kept reading the board over and over and... (you get the point), and it looks as though it's a 50/50 choice between the two. Then I started looking at all the blends...from company to company...more reading...back to the board. So, I went with what I know. MY Gosh...you would think I was buying a house! I don't know why...maybe it's because I don't know J223 and it's that thinking of "grass being greener on the other side". Anyway, I'm looking forward to using J50 again. I ordered it from CS, but had to order the zincs from TCS as CS doesn't carry them. I do notice though that CS recommends ECO wicks for J50. I don't think these were available when we poured J50 before. We do have some ECOs, and we'll give those a try with the zincs too. More testing...:yay:... (Man...I would give anything to still have my notes from our previous business. NG was close to us and most of our 150 oils came from them...every oil had been tested in J50...now to start over :sad2:

Thanks Ravens....We live in SC on the coast. That's one reason we chose to get our supplies from CS originally...but now use them because of quality, quick shipping and great Customer Service. I know WSP carries both and actually their cost for a case of J50 including shipping was cheaper than CS, but CS ships same day...sometimes WSP takes a day or two to get the order out the door. Next time I'll go through WSP, but just place the order much sooner than I need/want it. (Would love to have Lonestar closer though) I also checked out Cajun, TCS, KY and TriState.

i have been checking back on the feed of this topic as i wanted to try a new wax myself and was leaning towards the j50, i have seen most use zinc wicks, can you tell me what size you use for a 4 oz jar, a 12 oz jar and a 16oz jar for zinc? i have never used zinc and would like to get it right (or close to right) the first time :) thanks guys

Hello virginiastreetcandles...Right now we are experimenting with a parrafin and soy blend. We have yet to pour the J50 by itself, but will shortly. Not exactly sure what style of jar you are talking about. But when we poured J50 before and used zinc, we used the 51-32-18z for most of our fragrances in the 8 ounce jelly jars. You could start with those and then adjust. (Here's the jars we are currently using) http://www.candlescience.com/containers/8oz-jelly-jar/

We didn't pour 4 ounce or 16 ounce mason/jelly jars and most likely won't this time around either. But maybe someone else can jump in if they use those.

hey lovemylabs :) i hope i wasnt intruding on your post by posting a question also...didnt think about that until after i had done it :0 anyways fill us in when you pour the j50, like you i was bouncing back and forth between the two J's and was just so aggrivated with which one to get....i order from candlescience, i use the 4 12 and 16oz jars...i currently use the 4627 wax with eco wicks as suggested by cs, however i have a fellow candlemaker who only uses the zinc wicks and never has issues....so i figured i would give it a try but im scared lol....its been a journey that is for sure with wax wicks jars etc...every day i learn something new and i just cant wait to get a formula that WORKS PERFECT NO PROBLEMS!! the 4627 comfort blend is what i started out with due to it being listed as holding the most fragrance....then started reading this post as one person had commented on the j50....ahhhhhh what to do what to do lol.....we just need a chart listed of what everyone uses that works! to me that would be like winning the lotto! or playing BINGO! HAHA ill be checking back often for your reviews :)

Nope, you didn't intrude at all. Right now we are testing our J50 with a soy blend. Gotta leave in a few days for Ohio and will be back next week. When we return, we'll be pouring straight J50 and using zincs. While I'm at it, I'll continue to test out the 4627. Since getting back in to candlemaking after several years off, things have changed. I just want to find my "comfort zone" again. What I personally have done is read the posts (like crazy), realize that you can take ten people using the same wax and wick combination and have ten different comments at the end of the day. Bottom line....still gotta test out what works for us. But man when we get there...it will be rewarding. Oh ... a chart... I believe there is one somewhere. I came across it. I believe it was Bittercreek that had it but that was some time ago. You could do a google search. The only thing is I don't know how "out of date" it would be since so many new things have come on the scene since it started. But if I recall, when someone used J50...they almost always had zinc as the wick they used.

good luck on your ohio trip ..... my fellow candlemaker has sent me some zinc wicks to try....should get them today....and should get the j50 wax on friday.....kinda of excited lol but scared too.....i have only used the 4627....not sure what to expect but we shall see! ill keep you posted how mine turn out also have a safe trip!:)

• 2 weeks later...