Looking to get my wife a Christmas present

I am thinking about getting my wife a starter kit for Christmas and was looking for some suggestions. Should I buy a predesigned kit or would it be better to put one together myself? If I do go that route though I will probably be needing a lot of help as to what to get. Also, are there any places that are highly recommended to purchase everything from?

Pretty much I am just looking for suggestions about what all she would need to get started.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by dataz722

That makes you one of the good guys! IMO a kit is the best way to go but you will have to find out what she wants to make pillars/votives or container candles. The wax used to make them are different. Oh, and try to find out if she prefers paraffin or soy/veggie.

The next step would be to let us know where you live. I'm sure there would be a reputable supplier in your part of the country that we could lead you to.

Wow, that was quick!

What s nice thing to do! I would def start with a kit. Peaks is an excellent supplier. Do you know what she would like to start with?

I will take a look at Peaks. Just google peaks and candle and I assume it will come up?

So a kit usually comes with everything needed and nothing really extra. I am into a bunch of hobbies myself and know that most starter kits come with stuff that isn't really necessary or things that when bought separately would be higher quality.

That makes you one of the good guys! IMO a kit is the best way to go but you will have to find out what she wants to make pillars/votives or container candles. The wax used to make them are different. Oh, and try to find out if she prefers paraffin or soy/veggie.

The next step would be to let us know where you live. I'm sure there would be a reputable supplier in your part of the country that we could lead you to.

I would assume by containers that would be jars? Like Yankee Candle and all the other popular expensive ones? And I have no idea about the paraffin or soy and don't think she has any idea the difference either.

We are in Newark, DE.

Edited by dataz722

There's an ad to the right that says Peak Supplies I believe. That's Peak's. There's a lot to go through and to decide on what your wife may want to try, pillars, containers and then what waxes, but they are a quality supplier. Not sure where you are at, but there are many places that offer the kits that are reputable too.

The closest suppliers would probably be in Pennsylvania - here's a link to the suppliers by state: http://www.suppliersbystate.com/state-listings.php?st=

Looks like Candles & Supplies and Candlewic both offer various kits and are in PA which would save on shipping. There will probably be other recommendations from others as well.

We are always willing to help ~ especially when there is a "gift" involved!

Soy takes a bit of testing to find the proper pour temperature that makes smooth tops and little frosting and is also finicky with some fragrance oils (meaning it won't throw an aroma.) And you do have to let them sit for a few days to cure. But it does offer easy clean up.

Paraffin is less "sensitive" and gives you almost immediate gratification (overnight set up) but clean up takes up a little more effort. I started with paraffin and had good smelling candles from the start. Soy takes more patience, in my opinion.

If she just wants to get the mechanics down I'd go with the paraffin. I think there will be others to chime in advocating soy.

There are varying opinions ... and some chandlers can get very vocal about why they choose a certain wax. There is a lengthy discussion at this link: http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39422&highlight=soy

Soy takes a bit of testing to find the proper pour temperature that makes smooth tops and little frosting and is also finicky with some fragrance oils (meaning it won't throw an aroma.) And you do have to let them sit for a few days to cure. But it does offer easy clean up.

Paraffin is less "sensitive" and gives you almost immediate gratification (overnight set up) but clean up takes up a little more effort. I started with paraffin and had good smelling candles from the start. Soy takes more patience, in my opinion.

If she just wants to get the mechanics down I'd go with the paraffin. I think there will be others to chime in advocating soy.

There are varying opinions ... and some chandlers can get very vocal about why they choose a certain wax. There is a lengthy discussion at this link: http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39422&highlight=soy

Excellent explanation, Judy!

I started with paraffin, which has less of a temperature disorder! I didn't tackle soy until after 2 years of good paraffin results, and I still struggle with any new scent in soy...the testing involved is threefold, IMHO, in soy. Everyone here is helpful, so when you give your gift, be sure to include a link to this forum and encourage her to join! HTH!

Thanks, it does sound like paraffin would be better to beginning. That made that decision easy. :D If she really starts to get into this like I hope she does she can make that decision herself later.

Just want to make sure I am not forgetting or overlooking something. From what I am reading and seeing, it looks like in order to get started she will need and some questions about those:

A melting/pouring pot - they are the same thing right? What size would be best for starting out?

Thermometer - does it really matter what kind?

wicks - have no idea and need to read some more about them

wax - will use paraffin blend but not sure what kind

containers - can just about any glass container be used? Can old one be reused?

Scents - is there much to know about the oils or just get any I think she would like?

Coloring - still reading into the differences

Anything else?

Everyone here is helpful, so when you give your gift, be sure to include a link to this forum and encourage her to join! HTH!

I plan on it. Like I said I am into quite a few different hobbies myself and I enjoy the forums that I am on with them just as much as the hobby itself.

I started with paraffin, which has less of a temperature disorder! I didn't tackle soy until after 2 years of good paraffin results, and I still struggle with any new scent in soy...the testing involved is threefold, IMHO, in soy. Everyone here is helpful, so when you give your gift, be sure to include a link to this forum and encourage her to join! HTH!

Don't forget the Credit Card she will need, When you give her the link to the forum.:laugh2::laugh2:

From what I am reading and seeing, it looks like in order to get started she will need and some questions about those:

A melting/pouring pot - they are the same thing right? What size would be best for starting out?

Thermometer - does it really matter what kind?

wicks - have no idea and need to read some more about them

wax - will use paraffin blend but not sure what kind

containers - can just about any glass container be used? Can old one be reused?

Scents - is there much to know about the oils or just get any I think she would like?

Coloring - still reading into the differences

Anything else?

IMO, Just starting out (if you start buying these individually) it will take time and then you will be torn with what suppliers to go with for individual items. Kit is best - and if there are other things that need to be purchased ... assuming she enjoys it ... you can pick them up.

May I recommend you start another thread? I would title it "Looking for Paraffin Starter Kit Supplier". Let them know you want to get into container candles ~ then compare what comes in the kit to your list.

At some time you will need to buy a digital scale.

Edited by Judy, USMC

I know one of the question you had was what was in the kit from Peaks you do not get much excess but everything you need to get started you will have a bit of wax left over. I really think a kit form a quality supplier is the better option that trying to create a kit yourself. I would recommend either of these kits to start with. The only thing they lack are a good scale and heat gun which both can be got at walmart

http://www.peakcandle.com/products/Scented-Container-Candle-Starter-Kit__K1003.aspx

http://cart.candlesupply.com/product.php?productid=20363&cat=487&page=1

How precise does the scale need to be? I already have a scale that is accurate to +/- 1 gram. I also have a heat gun already but what temp is needed for use with candles?

As far as using a kit or not I will probably end up going with the premade kit but I just always like to look into everything. Does anyone know if some of the stores are willing to make changes to the colors or scents that come with the kits though?

As far as using a kit or not I will probably end up going with the premade kit but I just always like to look into everything. Does anyone know if some of the stores are willing to make changes to the colors or scents that come with the kits though?

Peaks might if you contact them, they have great customer service. But, even if they wont- I've personally used all those fragrances on this kit: http://www.peakcandle.com/products/Scented-Container-Candle-Starter-Kit__K1003.aspx and they are all great starters.

Once shes comfortable with pouring the containers and has test burned some then I would move onto other FO's but I would guess the reason they put those FO's, wicks, wax, and containers together in the kit is they are certain the test results will come out well :)

Edited by LuminousBoutique

Peaks might if you contact them, they have great customer service. But, even if they wont- I've personally used all those fragrances on this kit: http://www.peakcandle.com/products/Scented-Container-Candle-Starter-Kit__K1003.aspx and they are all great starters.

Once shes comfortable with pouring the containers and has test burned some then I would move onto other FO's but I would guess the reason they put those FO's, wicks, wax, and containers together in the kit is they are certain the test results will come out well :)

So you need different waxes and wicks and whatnot depending on the FO? I was planning on probably just getting a few more that I know she would like in addition to the kit.

And you got that kit? You liked it and didn't think anything should have been different? Anything else needed in addition other than the scale and heat gun?

In my experience you would only need the different wax to make the tart/melts. If you go with making votives you would need to add the votive molds ... and possibly a few votive wick pins.

I like the Peak kit ... The 4630 wax is easily found at other suppliers and gives you the zinc wicks which I use.

Ok, this is what I have so far. How does it look? I want her to be able to do containers and votives. Am I missing anything? Anything unnecessary in there?

Product Price Quantity Total

K1003

Scented Container Candle Starter Kit

$59.95

$59.95

F1015A

Blueberry Muffin Fragrance Oil 1 oz.

$2.50

$2.50

F1026A

Cinnamon Buns Fragrance Oil 1 oz.

$2.50

$2.50

F1110A

Storm Watch Fragrance Oil 1 oz.

$2.50

$2.50

M1020

Votive Mold: Standard 15-Hour

$0.85

$7.65

W1003A

6" 44-24-18 Zinc Core Pre-tabbed Wicks, 100 pcs. ($6.99)

$6.99

$6.99

ML1006

7.5" Wick Trimmers

$5.73

$5.73

A1035A

Medium Wick Centering Tool Pack of 6

$3.18

$3.18

A1001

Wick Pin: 2.5" (for votives)

$0.89

$8.01

In my experience you would only need the different wax to make the tart/melts.

Sorry, my statement was not quite accurate.

The Pillar Blend is 4625 ... the wax for pillars can also be used for tarts/melts & votives. The 4630 (that comes in the kit) is a soft wax for containers.

I see they have the 44-24-18Z in their votive kit ... but I use 36-24-24 Zinc for my votives.

The wick trimmer is nice for a stocking stuffer ... but not a necessity.

I don't know if the wick centering tool is the correct size for the containers that come in the kit. Worth a call to the helpful Customer Service folks and ask them for a recommendation.

Edited by Judy, USMC