Looking to get my wife a Christmas present

Re: The 44-24-18 wicks and Medium wick centering tool.

You would need them if you are looking further down the road after the kit is used. This combo can be used to make candles in jelly jars which you could purchase "off-the-shelf" in your town ... usually at the grocery store.

I think we're about done ...

I started with a votive kit. They sent me 12 votive molds with wick pins, enough wax to make several batches of votives, candle color, wicks and fragrance oil. They had instructions on the web site and good customer service for questions. I made up Valentine packages (bought votive holders at the local dollar tree) and gave them as gifts. The next thing I did was read the archives and all posts until my eyeballs crossed! You will eventually undertand the lingo and everyting else but it takes time. HTH

Steve

So you need different waxes and wicks and whatnot depending on the FO? I was planning on probably just getting a few more that I know she would like in addition to the kit.

And you got that kit? You liked it and didn't think anything should have been different? Anything else needed in addition other than the scale and heat gun?

no im sorry i never used a kit but I've used those fragrances :)

I'm in Delaware too. (Wilmington). My first kit came from AC Moore, but when I started to understand what I was doing I went to Candles & Supplies. While they are closer, they are a bit higher in price and their fragrance oils are "hit or miss" but a good place to start. If your wife finds she likes candle making, she'll try different companies to find the fragrance oils she likes best. Feel free to PM me with other area suggestions.

Re: The 44-24-18 wicks and Medium wick centering tool.

You would need them if you are looking further down the road after the kit is used. This combo can be used to make candles in jelly jars which you could purchase "off-the-shelf" in your town ... usually at the grocery store.

I think we're about done ...

Ok, I had the wick tool would be good to have even with her first ones.

Candlewic is a good supplier, they have alot of different kits online. I love them for how close they are to my house, free pickup service can't be beat.

I am going to take a look at them. I want to get a complete list of everything I want to get her then try and find the best place for it.

Not to be a party pooper here but every time I bought a woman something that was of interest to me it turned out badly.

What does she want?

This isn't exactly something of interest to me. I think it is something she would really like. She doesn't have any hobbies at all and always is buying and burning candles. Yeah, its possible it might fail but at least I tried.

I'm in Delaware too. (Wilmington). Feel free to PM me with other area suggestions.

Thanks, she might take you up on that.

Sorry, my statement was not quite accurate.

The Pillar Blend is 4625 ... the wax for pillars can also be used for tarts/melts & votives. The 4630 (that comes in the kit) is a soft wax for containers.

I see they have the 44-24-18Z in their votive kit ... but I use 36-24-24 Zinc for my votives.

The wick trimmer is nice for a stocking stuffer ... but not a necessity.

I don't know if the wick centering tool is the correct size for the containers that come in the kit. Worth a call to the helpful Customer Service folks and ask them for a recommendation.

Ok, so she would need a different wax too for the votives then. The one that comes with the kit says it has to have a tight fitting votive holder so I am looking at 4625. Will that work pretty well too?

What wax do you use with the 36-24-24 wicks?

Sorry - have to go off the grid for a bit. Hubby having unexpected surgery ...

good luck with all there Judy-hope all goes well.

I am thinking you will need either a hot glue gun or wick stickums to attach the wick to the container (unless i missed that in the previous posts). also-i think this is a very thoughtful gift-way to go!!

kris

Edited by deisel

What wax do you use with the 36-24-24 wicks?

OK - here's where we start getting into candlemaking a little deeper. I use the 36-24-24 with the 4625 with most of the FOs I have; some other oils that have cinnamon or vanilla I need to bump up to the 44-24-18. It's all part of the testing phase.

This is also the point where you can tally up the total investment just to "get started" before a candle has even been made ... and compare it to the amount of candles you could have commercially purchased.

Looking back, most of us who have been in to chandling would love to have a turn-key set up. But then we have already decided we have an interest and want to grow. But now let me express a fear ~ you've done the research and decided on what materials she may need ~ but that's half the fun (wasn't it?)

Maybe consider getting just the basic kit and giving her a pre-paid credit card to get the other items you have discovered she may want/need. Maybe she would prefer to make tarts/melts and would like some molds rather than wicks. Or maybe her heart will lead her into making pillars. Best comparison I can make ... you can buy the dress and let her pick out the accessories rather than buying her the whole outfit and expecting her to wear it.

That way if she decides it's not her "thing" all you are out is the cost of the kit ... and she could still get herself a gift with the card. Whatever you decide - make sure she know's about this forum.

I'll be back off the grid for the next few days & at the hospital with my husband.

This is also the point where you can tally up the total investment just to "get started" before a candle has even been made ... and compare it to the amount of candles you could have commercially purchased.

I am looking to keep it all right around $100.

Maybe consider getting just the basic kit and giving her a pre-paid credit card to get the other items you have discovered she may want/need. Maybe she would prefer to make tarts/melts and would like some molds rather than wicks. Or maybe her heart will lead her into making pillars. Best comparison I can make ... you can buy the dress and let her pick out the accessories rather than buying her the whole outfit and expecting her to wear it.

That is a brilliant idea!

Whatever you decide - make sure she know's about this forum.

I will.

I'll be back off the grid for the next few days & at the hospital with my husband.

I hope everything works out ok for him.