air freshner question

hello and thank you in advance....i am going to test some car air freshners out...now,is the fragrance oil used for the blanks candle f.o.???or the bath and body f.o.????or is there a special f.o. needed??? i have a person that loves the candles i make and he suggested that i make something for his car....so im doing some research and i cant find anything about what specific f.o. is used???i know you just brush the f.o.on both sides of the blank and package....sounds easy enough???ill probablly order from oak court creations...just looking for something else to offer???? might have someone interested in a fundraiser later this year???? thank you again....

Edited by chris22

I just use candle/soap fo. I personally like to use b&b safe. I always hang mine up to dry before packaging. With oak courts af's if you want them colored you have to use b&b dyes for that. I dye mine, hang up to dry then when dry paint on the fo, dry again, package. I use polypro/cello bags for packaging. I get mine from uniquepackaging.com they are great fast shippers.

thank you carol for your response....now....one more question...how many af's can you make with one ounce f.o.?????and how long do your smells last at a strong car filling scent???? like those tree ones...i used to put the 3 pack in my car and i couldnt smell it 2 weeks later.....these will last longer right????

Edited by chris22

You really can use any fragrance oil on the air freshener blanks from Oak Court. I add the oil by drops at a time and allow to spread through the piece. It really does not take much at all. However you will have to test yours to come up with the answer to your question. Once the oil has spread throughout the freshener, I package in polypro bags. I don't use the regular zip lock bags due to the penetration/permeation of oil/scent through the bag. If you can smell the scent, then it is evaporating off of your freshener a some rate. I have had customers tell me their air fresheners last for a long time. What is a long time? Don't know. If the environment is hotter, the scent will evaporate off faster. You can, however, always refresh your air freshener with drops of oil.

If you want to color your air freshener blanks, you can use the bath and body colors....you can also use food coloring. Any water base coloring works well. You will have to test/experiment to find what works best for you. Brenda also has several other ways to design her blanks listed on her website.

To attend to you customers request...an air freshener to match his candle fragrance, sure! You may even add another item to your inventory!

Good luck and Happy New Year!

thank you carol for your response....now....one more question...how many af's can you make with one ounce f.o.?????and how long do your smells last at a strong car filling scent???? like those tree ones...i used to put the 3 pack in my car and i couldnt smell it 2 weeks later.....these will last longer right????

Well it's really impossible to answer about how many 1oz of oil will scent. There are different sizes of blanks.

I've had people tell me they have had them last for months (cool water from millcreek pops into my head). LOL, the last tree ones we bought you could smell it for 1 day. Yes these last alot longer then any store bought ones. I paint my scent on, you will be able to tell when you have enough on them. Oh don't use nylon bristle brushes the fo will eat them. I went to the dollar store & bought the natural bristle brushes. When you hang them up to dry be sure they are not touching each other or you will have fade spots on them. I hang mine with christmas tree ornament hooks from a bakers rack. I have used a coat hanger too, just be sure nothing is touching them, they are really bad about getting fade spots then you have to redye them.

I agree with Carol. I would have no idea how many to make with a 1 ounce of FO but I am sure alot.You are just brushing on the scent.

For how long the scents last??? I had a friend tell me her "Heaven"scented car freshener lasted 3 months and she forgot to take it out when she sold her car. I think how long they lasted would be the Fragrance.Some probably last longer than others but Heaven was one I thought would be mild but wasn't.

LynnS

again...thank you all for your responses....i am ordering the candle jar blanks now....and ill prob try both candle fragrance and a b&b fragrance too???see what works better???? and ill prob dye with food coloring and some water......ill let you all know what the outcome is......i cant wait

again...thank you all for your responses....i am ordering the candle jar blanks now....and ill prob try both candle fragrance and a b&b fragrance too???see what works better???? and ill prob dye with food coloring and some water......ill let you all know what the outcome is......i cant wait

You're welcome. I use candle scent (fragrance oil) that is b&b safe. Oakcourt has b&b dyes also & don't forget the elastic cording to hang them with. I also buy the elastic bead thread from walmart when I run out of oakcourts. It's higher, but no shipping cost.

thank you all again....i just got the blanks in the mail.....i used a 1 ounce fragrance i got from peaks (vanilla passion) just to see how many i can make and i used the candle jar blanks from oak court creations....i used a 1/2 in paint brush dipped in jar and brushed on...9 dips in f.o. on each side of blank and brushed on... i made 10 air freshners with that amount....they are drying now...should i not put so much on????how many times do you usually dip your brush per side??? i made sure the blank looked wet.....thanks for all the help .....and i just made mandarin plum and wow....very very strong f.o.

Edited by chris22