Would like to try new recipe

icecold

I am on to my next step of soap making. I made a lot of soap in the fall with wonderful success but I would like to try a recipe without using palm or animal fat. What I have on hand is olive oil, coconut oil, cocoa butter, castor oil and crisco. I might get some shea butter and sweet almond oil too. Any suggestions as to % of these oils I should start with? I have played around on soap calc and have some ideas on %, just thought I would ask for all your wonderful expertise here. TIA

Here is a recipe I came up with any input on it is greatly appreciated

Olive oil 40%

Coconut oil 28%

Crisco 10%

Castor 7%

Cocoa butter 5%

Shea Butter5%

SAO 5%

• 2 weeks later...

Have you soaped this recipe? You know, I just can't tell about this stuff anymore. The recipe doesn't appear to be well balanced (sat:unsat) from using mostly soft oils but you never know until you soap it. It seems it would be a soft soap but the olive would eventually harden the bar over a cure time. Personally, I would up the cocoa butter and reduce the olive a bit but you'll have to be careful because the coconut is pretty high. Let the soap experts chime in here and give you better advice. HTH

Steve

OOO that looks good!! When you add cream as half the liquid do you add your lye to water and let cool then add the cream at trace or right to the lye water? Also how do you like the avocado oil? I have not used it yet in soap but would like to.

OOO that looks good!! When you add cream as half the liquid do you add your lye to water and let cool then add the cream at trace or right to the lye water? Also how do you like the avocado oil? I have not used it yet in soap but would like to.

Yes, that is how I do any milk, I am a real fan of Coconut Milk.

I love using Avocado oil, one of the reasons I chose to use it....was because of my Great Grandmother.

She had a tree in the back yard and alway said how good they were for your skin & Hair.

Plus it has a high percentage of unsaponifiables, which works for me. :)

I am not Kyme but I would keep avocado st 10%. I love it in soap at that %. I add the cream to batch at very light trace or just as the batch is emulsifying together. You can add it to the oils before you put the Lye solution in it also. If you put it with the lye water make sure it is slushy ice as it will scorch and stink. Hope that helps.

I am not Kyme but I would keep avocado st 10%. I love it in soap at that %. I add the cream to batch at very light trace or just as the batch is emulsifying together. You can add it to the oils before you put the Lye solution in it also. If you put it with the lye water make sure it is slushy ice as it will scorch and stink. Hope that helps.

10% is what I use ...I found a recipe online for Avocado Soap and here it is.

It has a huge amount of Avocado Oil, I just dont think it needs that much to be beneficial.

24oz Avocado oil

10oz Olive Oil

10oz Palm oil

8oz Coconut Oil

4oz Shea butter

5oz Cocoa Butter

3oz Castor oil

21-24oz water

8.59oz lye