Good Candle Making Books???

I hope you all don't get tired of my infinite questions...lol...cause I will have many!

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you could recommend some good books for a newbie on candle making. As I am reading posts, I am realizing there is so much more to making and selling candles than I ever thought. But, I am totally going for it anyway!

I went to Barnes & Noble a few weeks ago, but I was a little overwhelmed with all the choices.

Thanks for any help! :smiley2:

I agree with Faerywren. I started out twenty years ago using books. If I would have had this forum then, along with all the other tutorials and stuff, I would have been in pigs heaven. Really, just start reading this site and the supplier sites. Don't forget the archives.

I bought about 3 or 4 books on candlemaking when I first started out. But I learned everything about candlemaking, techniques, wax, wicks, scents, tips, supplies to order, etc., here on this forum. I sometimes browse my books to look at the different types of candles and read about the techniques to refresh myself or give me inspiration. But when I want to learn something or find out the latest info I come here. I consider it my continuing education in candlemaking. Just like any hobby or profession you have to keep up with it.

Another thing to consider is that new wax blends, FOs, wick treatments, etc keep coming out all the time so by the time a book goes to publication its already out of date.

Edited by Candybee

I bought a candle making book from Yaley. It was very introductory. I saw a few more that had some recipes and coloring techniques in them. They were fine, but not very thorough.

I have to say that my candle making took a leap forward when I started lurking at this site and reading the archives.

This forum and the search tool really do come together to be the best book on candle making there is.

The Saponifier Magazine is a good source about all kinds of soap and candle making techniques and tips. The best way to approach getting started is to find out the nearest supplier to your location. Don't waste your time and money on craft shops or stores. Once you locate a supplier then look at the waxes they offer and decide if you want to do pillars, votives, containers or wickless/tarts/melts. Use the search tool for those waxes and read up. Container, wax, wick, fragrance oil and color/no color. I always recommend a kit but its not necessary if you have in mind what you want to do. HTH.

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

I bought a candle making book from Yaley. It was very introductory. I saw a few more that had some recipes and coloring techniques in them. They were fine, but not very thorough.

The books give only the basics and never include the IFs, ANDs or BUTs