Crafting web search on Blekko.com

Blekko is a search engine that lets you specify search terms (just as with Google or Bing) PLUS a "hashtag" that limits the search to only relevant websites.

I've created two hashtags on Blekko that you might want to try out:

/topofmurrayhill/candlemaking

/topofmurrayhill/soaping

These hashtags limit your search to candlemaking or soaping websites. For example, go to blekko.com and try entering the following:

grapefruit /topofmurrayhill/candlemaking

I'll be adding more sites, but it already seems to work pretty well. If you find it useful, let me know.

What an excellent resource!!! Beyond "useful" in my opinion ... (and it's nice to attach a face to the screen name.)

Although I only checked out the candle side hashmark, I do agree that it's a great basis and can't wait to see what other sites will be added.

Again, Top, you have been extremely generous in sharing with us. Thank you!

What am I doing wrong? When I search pillar /topofmurrayhill/candlemaking all I get is a bunch of candle supply places that sell pillar wax. It doesn't bring up any posts that Top made about pillar candles.

That's exactly what should happen. Those hashtags aren't for searching the Craftserver message board. It's like doing a Google search that's limited to crafting supplies and information.

You can use the search function right here to look for stuff in the forums.

That's exactly what should happen. Those hashtags aren't for searching the Craftserver message board. It's like doing a Google search that's limited to crafting supplies and information.
Ok, gotch ya!
You can use the search function right here to look for stuff in the forums.

I think we can all agree that the search feature here works, but I like the google search feature better

Google Site Search:

You can also use Google to help you search the entire site. Just go to Google's Homepage and type in the word "site" followed by a colon. ex - SEARCH WORDS site: craftserver.com

So if I wanted to look for pillars I would type into the Google serch bar: pillars site:craftserver.com (click on the search term to see the results).

Just wondering... why do we need "topofmurrayhill" in the search on blekko to get results?

Edited by IwantItgreen

What am I doing wrong? When I search pillar /topofmurrayhill/candlemaking all I get is a bunch of candle supply places that sell pillar wax. It doesn't bring up any posts that Top made about pillar candles.

Too funny! I tried it with the word "floaters" and only one result came up. One of Tops posts here on the board...lol

Oh duh! I used Google to do it. Nevermind

Edited by SatinDucky

I think we can all agree that the search feature here works, but I like the google search feature better

I've never tried that method of searching the message board with Google, but I can imagine how it could be helpful. The search function here has some limitations.

The Craftserver site is included in my Blekko hashtags, so theoretically they could return forum posts in the results. The question is whether Blekko's webcrawler actually goes through the forums. I'll try to look into that at some point.

Just wondering... why do we need "topofmurrayhill" in the search on blekko to get results?

Blekko has a bunch of predefined topic hashtags. However, "candlemaking" and "soaping" are hashtags that I created myself, so you have to include my account name to use them. I would prefer that you didn't have to do that, so they could be easier to use.

Maybe a user hashtag can become a standard topic hashtag if it's popular enough. I don't really know how many people will use these. It's kind of an experiment to see how helpful Blekko can be for people here.