First candles done...now what?

Daisymae

I truly wish you success when you finally decide to sell your candles, but please, please test each and every candle/FO you pour. Test each new scent, new container, wick, etc. etc. etc. etc.

when did you start pouring candles? Do you keep notes? I would never sell a candle to anyone without some product liability coverage, and certainly never before a lot of testing. Let's see, how long have I been testing and still feel not even ready to sell a candle?.... Hmmm, must be close to a year now.

Unless you're extraordinarily talented or lucky, I really believe you have a lot of testing ahead of you.

How many scents do you plan on offering? Just one type of container (the tureen, which is hell to wick, btw), are you using paraffin, soy, palm, parasoy? Do you color your candles? I'm assuming you tested your candles? How did you test?

Sorry about all the questions I have, but I'd like to get a clearer picture. Good luck! :smiley2:

:cheesy2:Daisymae, listen to Ravens and all the others. They are only trying to help. I started on this forum and making candles about 4 months ago and I'm STILL testing and learning! I only give mine away to family and friends who are my "Testers" because they give you an honest opinion which is what you want before you ask someone to pay hard earned money for a product. The only thing I'm about ready to sell are my tarts. They do not require a wick so you don't have the fire issue but until I can get at least 2 days of scent out of 1 tart I'm going to keep trying. I think I'm there but waiting for review from some of my testers. I spent a fortune in the past on candles because I love them. And would get VERY irritated if I spent quite a bit on a candle and could not smell anything. So I try to keep that in mind. I may never be able to sell them unless I get that type of quality in my candle but I'd rather keep it for myself than sell a poor quality candle. Because I know how it feels. If you have a lot of trouble with the wick candles you might consider doing tarts! Those are hard too because you still have to test or you'll have a product that smells for a couple of hours and that's it! Anyway, just a few suggestions. But I can guarantee you I've made some wonderful friends on this forum and they are very busy with their own business but take the time to help us. I promise in the long run you'll be glad you took their advise. Because they only have your best interest in mind and your customers. Have a great day and welcome to a wonderful hobby!!

Daisymae-- I hope you don't get discouraged and leave or quit posting here. Everyone starts out and goes thru the learning process differently and I'm sure you'll do just fine. Most of us that wanted to start a candle biz were also excited and anxious to begin and get out there and start selling.

It may be hard to step back and wait until you have completed your testing but I assure you that you will not be sorry. It takes time and money to get your testing done but I can't stress enough how important these initial steps are. So follow the advice you have been given here as there ares some good tips.

Creating a great candle or tart that you know has been tested and works great will be something you can take pride in and be confident when you begin to sell. This is also how you build success in your biz by creating a great product. Your customers will take note and become repeat customers and you just keep building on that. Good luck!

To everyone who has nothing but good intentions...I appreciate your help, honesty and words of encouragement.

I DID start testing and now understand what you all mean. My HT was not good at all...and my melt pool was just a little off. My friend, who tested one for me said the same and that when she blew it out it smoked a LOT! I am guessing that is a wick problem, but not sure.

I never realized that candle making was so involved...even my friends said "Don't you just pour it and stick a wick in it?" HA! That is what I thought, too! So chandlers, I am going back to the drawing board and learn more about your craft before I even attempt to sell. I may never sell, but I'll have fun trying to learn something new!

Good luck to you all and you'll be seeing more of me...

:cheesy2:Daisymae, listen to Ravens and all the others. They are only trying to help. I started on this forum and making candles about 4 months ago and I'm STILL testing and learning! I only give mine away to family and friends who are my "Testers" because they give you an honest opinion which is what you want before you ask someone to pay hard earned money for a product. The only thing I'm about ready to sell are my tarts. They do not require a wick so you don't have the fire issue but until I can get at least 2 days of scent out of 1 tart I'm going to keep trying. I think I'm there but waiting for review from some of my testers. I spent a fortune in the past on candles because I love them. And would get VERY irritated if I spent quite a bit on a candle and could not smell anything. So I try to keep that in mind. I may never be able to sell them unless I get that type of quality in my candle but I'd rather keep it for myself than sell a poor quality candle. Because I know how it feels. If you have a lot of trouble with the wick candles you might consider doing tarts! Those are hard too because you still have to test or you'll have a product that smells for a couple of hours and that's it! Anyway, just a few suggestions. But I can guarantee you I've made some wonderful friends on this forum and they are very busy with their own business but take the time to help us. I promise in the long run you'll be glad you took their advise. Because they only have your best interest in mind and your customers. Have a great day and welcome to a wonderful hobby!!

Thanks! I will look into tarts and I have come to the realization that I may not sell my candles for quite a while...if ever. I really just wanted a hobby that I could enjoy and maybe make a little money on the side with. I'd love to one day walk away from my day job and have a business that is my own....but, don't we all?! I know I came off as a little over eager, but I was just excited and anxious I guess.

Daisymae-- I hope you don't get discouraged and leave or quit posting here. Everyone starts out and goes thru the learning process differently and I'm sure you'll do just fine. Most of us that wanted to start a candle biz were also excited and anxious to begin and get out there and start selling.

It may be hard to step back and wait until you have completed your testing but I assure you that you will not be sorry. It takes time and money to get your testing done but I can't stress enough how important these initial steps are. So follow the advice you have been given here as there ares some good tips.

Creating a great candle or tart that you know has been tested and works great will be something you can take pride in and be confident when you begin to sell. This is also how you build success in your biz by creating a great product. Your customers will take note and become repeat customers and you just keep building on that. Good luck!

Thanks...you pretty much put it in a nice nutshell for me :smiley2:.

It is so exciting when you first begin this obsession. The forum and people here are so wonderful, if you read everyones posts, not just those related to questions you may have, you realise that yes, without testing testing, frustrations, determination then it is a long road to perfection. You also learn by other peoples posts lots of other essential information that you do not find any books. Just when you think you have it something throws a spanner in the works as you have discovered.

I realised via this forum how many substandard and crappy candles there are out there, strife for perfection.

Stick around, practise and may be in years to come you can achieve your own business.

Daisy,

I think we all enjoy your enthusiasm and we really do appreciate your honesty and forthright posting.

The smoking is a wick choice issue. There are over 300 wicks available and I think about 10 percent of those have the characteristic profile that might fit your candle. So you might have about 30 wicks to test, but quite likely, less than that.

I respect enthusiastic folks who read and listen and learn. That's you, and you should take a good deep breath and be pleased with that.

Keep the enthusiasm. Test with the joy of hoping that your burn is perfect and then when you can repeat the results, go for it.

Folks here at this forum caution one another. I've been cautioned when I first joined (and I'm still a newbie). I have not lost the enthusiasm, quite the opposite, I'm just fully delighted that I have two candles now (3x4 one pound pillars and half pound container) that are solid and stable products to offer. I'm working on two more containers, but testing like crazy to get them right.

Set up an index card file for your notes (or spreadsheet). I'm working on a database program and will offer it to the forum for beta testing when ready, but that's a ways off.

so...

You Go Girl!

Thanks! I will look into tarts and I have come to the realization that I may not sell my candles for quite a while...if ever. I really just wanted a hobby that I could enjoy and maybe make a little money on the side with. I'd love to one day walk away from my day job and have a business that is my own....but, don't we all?! I know I came off as a little over eager, but I was just excited and anxious I guess.

:cheesy2:That's the EXACT reason I started into candlemaking! I worked in banking for years, I'm 59, and have a disability. I've had several back surgeries and had to take medical disability. But I always wanted my own business and work for myself. Your enthusiasm is contagious and reminds me why I started this. Because believe me IT'S EXPENSIVE! I read in a magazine on Work at Home Businesses that candlemaking was one of the cheapest start up businesses. WHAT A CROCK:laugh2: I have put so much money into this I could have almost bought an existing business! Anyway, don't give up and with your excitement I bet you'll have a great candle in no time! You'll get lots of support here and if I can help I will. Have a Blessed Day!!:cheesy2:

You are all so nice and I feel better now that I am no longer being raked over the coals...lol.

I think I am going to pull the wicks out of my other candles (I guess I can do that) and stick some other ones in there just for testing purposes. But, I have no idea which ones I should try - should I stick with the HTP or move on to something totally different and get a sample pack? There was a TON of hang-up, so now I know why these candles are so freakin' hard to wick! Do you think maybe two wicks might work???

It is J223 in a 6oz Tureen jar...wish I'd known those jars were so difficult...but I want to conquer it and not just switch to another jar. I like their shape too much I guess.

Oh and I don't necessarily think that the smoking was because of FO overload because it was the wick that was smoking after she blew it out. But, I guess I could be wrong....:laugh2:

Daisymae-- here is a link to a site with lots of info on wicks www.wicksunlimited.com . Its a great resource in selecting wicks now and in the future if you change waxes. When I was using J223 in jelly jars I preferred either zincs or CDs in that order. The zincs burned cooler but are prone to mushrooms but I always got great scent throw and steady burn with them. You just have to trim it regularly. HTH

Tureens.. I can't imagine trying to wick one of those suckers. I like tureens but use them only for wickless candle because they are squat and wide. They do make great wickless candles cause the wax is low, wide, and melts faster.

Edited by Candybee

Oh and I don't necessarily think that the smoking was because of FO overload because it was the wick that was smoking after she blew it out.

That's one of the best reasons right there to thoroughly test yourself before letting someone else try it. When something does go wrong, you know the circumstances surrounding it.

Well shoot! I read that wrong. Thought you said you didn't know if it was the fo or after she blew it out.

Edited by SatinDucky

Daisymae-- here is a link to a site with lots of info on wicks www.wicksunlimited.com . Its a great resource in selecting wicks now and in the future if you change waxes. When I was using J223 in jelly jars I preferred either zincs or CDs in that order. The zincs burned cooler but are prone to mushrooms but I always got great scent throw and steady burn with them. You just have to trim it regularly. HTH

Tureens.. I can't imagine trying to wick one of those suckers. I like tureens but use them only for wickless candle because they are squat and wide. They do make great wickless candles cause the wax is low, wide, and melts faster.

I am really curious about this wickless candle thing...how do you melt it? On one of those warmers? Because that's a really good idea you proposed for my jars! Can I just use what I have now or is it a different process or wax?

Daisymae,

If you want to continue with containers, I'd suggest you find a straight sided container to start with. (tumblers) Give yourself a chance to learn the nature of the waxes, FOs & wicks. Once you have some knowledge of the products & the overall process, you can then branch out into more unique containers.

Browse this site for different containers and then do a search of the forum for info on different ones. I know many of these have been discussed here in the past.

http://www.jarstore.com/Libbey-Tumblers_c_75.html

Anything over 3" may require double wicking which is another challenge :sad2: