Huge issues with tarts!

crabbycandleco

Ok, just starting from the beginning.

I began making tarts about a year ago, and started with solid 464 (not knowing any better) After that, I taught myself what I could at Google U. - I tried 464 with 415 added to try and firm it up, but they kept coming out horrible looking with big voids and tons of frosting (it left a fine while film on most of my tarts, on top of frosting) so then I started adding a small amount of pillar paraffin (the kind from Hobby Lobby because it was all I could get at the time) to firm it up instead of the 415. The problem was weeping once I reached a certain fragrance max- anything over 1oz per pound would weep with that blend, no matter how little paraffin I added- and I know it wasn't the soy that was the problem because it was fine prior to adding the paraffin.

Since then, I've played with 4630 CP, 464, and some stearin for firmness. That seemed to be doing well until folks started complaining that certain scents would actually weaken over time instead of strengthen with curing. I play with the ratios, I played with the scent amounts I added- I did everything I could think of and nothing seemed to help. For example, Pink Sugar was one of my worst for getting a good throw, hot or cold.

I also have silicone molds that I use and the soy/para blend was just too soft, so I was using 100% 4630 with stearin for those. Again, same issue. Some threw great, others were horrible.

I just started omitting the stearin, worried that was part of the problem, and instead using a mix of 4630/464/415 (for firmness) Seemed to help a little, but still issues with extensive frosting with the 415, even with the 4630, and doesn't quite give it as much firmness as the stearin.

I've now tried vybar, c-15, and a ton of other mixtures with no success. I have tried every combo I can think of with all of those, and the various waxes in different ratios, and even omitting some completely. Nothing seems to help increase the throw. I've done everything from 1, 1.5, and 2 full ounces of oil per pound and even at that full 2oz I was barely able to get any throw out of it! I feel like I'm losing my mind here.

Could the 4630 be the issue? I know it's a container blend, but I've heard of plenty of folks using CB's for tarts... could it be 'eating up' my oils? I've also noticed, compared to other tarts I've tried, mine take twice as long to melt, even the ones with really good throw. They're on the softer side, but they still take SO much longer to fully melt- even in 25w bulb warmers or pie tin warmers.

I also always heat to 180, add fragrance at 170, and then pour depending on the container (clamshells 120-ish, silicone around 150)

I would appreciate ANY help at all with trouble shooting this! Thanks so much!

Edited by crabbycandleco

2% is not alot of fragrance oil. I usually use 8-12% depending on the FO. I also use a CB and pillar blend. Also discovered in my testing that any mix I used 415 in seemed to frost badly. I do not use it anymore. Others will probably have different results. My advice is up your FO percentage considerably to start with.

Cheers,

Steve

I'd definitely up your fo percentage - I'm with Wessex ....that's very low. Many fellow tart makers use 9 percent & get a great throw. I'll go up to 11 percent sometimes. Hope that helps.

Edited by marcuset

Ok, these comments are just from my experience. I know others have different results. If you have read other threads, you will see that what works for one person may not work for another. So, testing, testing and more testing is the only way. Which is what you are doing. Unfortunately, the Search function is not working on the site and it's very difficult to find the discussions on these topics. That would be very helpful. There is a lot of excellent information on this board, just hard to find right now.

As you probably know, 464 is a container wax. It is pretty soft and designed to adhere to the container. Adding the higher melt point wax, 415, is a little helpful, not sure the 4630 will do much in that regard. But, both of those are also container waxes. Stearic also helps.

I think you will have better results if you come up with a formula using a pillar blend like Ecosoya PB. That wax is designed for pillars, votives and tarts, so it is a harder wax that pulls away from the mold. That will also help your tarts come out of the clamshell as well and not crumble, which I assume yours might be doing. I think I remember some people use just container wax for their tarts with no issues. I haven't had any luck with that.

Now, for me, using just straight PB for melts, I could not get the hot throw I wanted. But, it definitely makes the tarts firm, pop out of the clamshells and break apart the way I want. So, I started adding 464 to the PB until I got the firmness and the hot throw that I wanted. Me, I like to use color. And, 464 does frost and morph. Especially after it sits for a while. To help with that, I add a little 4630 to the mix, 10% or less.

So, I now have a formula using all three waxes, I can usually keep the FO percentage to 9 or 10% instead of 12%, and the melts pop out of the clamshell nicely and break apart clean. I don't get the sink holes, frosting or morphing. And, no crumbles.

At least they did until I tried to tweak my recipe just a little too much this last time. :rolleyes2 I upped the 464 percentage and made it too soft again. But, that is why we are supposed to keep good notes and test!

Hope that helps - J

I don't really have an answer as I don't work in soy. However, I found the paragraph about your slow melting in tart burners to be interesting. I looked up the melt point of those three waxes you mention, 4630, 464 and 415. 415 is the highest melt point at 125 which is more than fine for tarts. Tart wax should have a melt point of 132 or less (if combining waxes, then the average melt point of the combined waxes should be 132). Your other two waxes I believe are under 120 melt point. I know stearic acid/stearin raises melt point along with firmness. Maybe that was the issue. You said you've now started omitting the stearin, are you still having in issue with the tarts taking a long time to melt? Again, I don't work in soy but I think you need to find a soy pillar blend known for great hot throw and combine that with your CB. I would say 50/50 PB/CB is a good ratio to start your testing. In the paraffin world, many use 70/30 PB/CB.