Guest PassionSunKiss

Guest PassionSunKiss

Hey all,

I was wondering if you guys can help me. Right now in my body butters I'm using Sweet Almond Oil and I've been considering switching to a lighter/less greasy oil, but which one? I've been interested in Hemp Seed Oil and Jojoba, but oh my gosh, the prices are just ridiculous! Even when going through an actual supplier and not a wholesaler, they're expensive. Anyways, I've been thinking about grapeseed oil or fractioned coconut oil, but are those much less greasy than sweet almond oil? What is best?

Thanks for your help guys!!

Grapeseed oil is nice but has a short shelf life. You might want to try Rice Bran Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil or Sesame Oil. These are light to medium weight oils that penetrate the skin very well. FCO is nice as well, just not sure if you would get the moisturizing properties you want if used by itself. Another oil that is great in body butters is Babassu. It's more expensive than the other oils I mentioned but usually less than Jojoba. I use Babassu in my formulation and everybody loves it.

If you haven't seen this blog I would highly recommend it. She has lots of useful information but you do have to search for it. On the right side in the Downloadable PDF section, she has Carrier Oil profiles and comparison charts. There are also ones for the Exotic Oils. Her eBook, Lotion Making 101 is wonderful and consolidates a lot of the information that is one her blog plus some extra info. The eBooks do require a donation though.

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/

Fractionated coconut oil. By far my favorite oil. So light and wonderful, the goodness of coconut oil, clear, and reasonable priced. It is very much like an ester in feel - emollient but fast absorbing and dry without being powdery. I adore it in body butters because it really offsets the greasy feel. Shall I go on? :)