My first set of candles are cooling.

Well, one thing is for sure, no matter how much you read and how much you prep, until you get in there and do it, you cannot learn enough and know everything. Not saying I now know everything after just one batch. But, now I have answered some of my still lingering questions and have more questions. But, at least my first batch is behind me and I now know what I am in for.

My first issue is the scents. I now seem to have a major headache after standing over the stove stirring in frangrance. Not sure what to do to prevent that.

My second issue is allowing my hubby to help. He pulled one of my wicks loose after I poured the candle and he wants to add the dye, but not one drop at a time, lol. Since he loves to get involved with things I do, not sure what to do about him either.

My third issue is waiting for them to cool. I want to sit there and blow on them so they can cool and I can get the full color effect. I find my self wondering back into my kitchen and "watching" them. So, I have come in here to keep me out of there. Which that leads to my fourth problem.

I want to burn it now, lol. But I know I must wait. I might have to put them in a closet or something so I don't have to look at them everyday until I get to like them.

Overall it was fun and I learned alot. Already planning my next supply order since I did not order enough scents the first time and when I placed my order, I did not realize that I needed to use 1 ounce of fragrance per 1 pound of wax.

Well, one thing is for sure, no matter how much you read and how much you prep, until you get in there and do it, you cannot learn enough and know everything. Not saying I now know everything after just one batch. But, now I have answered some of my still lingering questions and have more questions. But, at least my first batch is behind me and I now know what I am in for.

My first issue is the scents. I now seem to have a major headache after standing over the stove stirring in frangrance. Not sure what to do to prevent that.

My second issue is allowing my hubby to help. He pulled one of my wicks loose after I poured the candle and he wants to add the dye, but not one drop at a time, lol. Since he loves to get involved with things I do, not sure what to do about him either.

My third issue is waiting for them to cool. I want to sit there and blow on them so they can cool and I can get the full color effect. I find my self wondering back into my kitchen and "watching" them. So, I have come in here to keep me out of there. Which that leads to my fourth problem.

I want to burn it now, lol. But I know I must wait. I might have to put them in a closet or something so I don't have to look at them everyday until I get to like them.

Overall it was fun and I learned alot. Already planning my next supply order since I did not order enough scents the first time and when I placed my order, I did not realize that I needed to use 1 ounce of fragrance per 1 pound of wax.

As you're stirring or waiting to pour, you can put a tiny drop of wax on something white and it will cool quickly and then you can see the color you'll be getting.

Oh I did that. But, there is something about the wax being in the jar that makes it more exciting and prettier. :)

Maybe you can let your husband do his own line of candles, while you do your own line of candles? You can do his-and-hers candles together.

Someone on here bought an amazing OSHA mask from Lowe's Home Improvement store to wear while she pours so she doesn't have to breath the fragrance fumes, which are bad for your lungs, and it prevents Candle Nose.

My daughter does all the stirring. I think this could be a good job for him and for him to tell you when to pour. This way maybe you won't get such a headache. You probably were right over the pot. There isn't any need to keep looking in, you will eventually get used to not worrying so much.

I now seem to have a major headache after standing over the stove stirring in frangrance.

Avoid the tendency to "drink in" the fragrance. I never stand directly over the pour pot when I can help it. If you are sensitive to strong fragrances, pouring with a respirator will help reduce the exposure to the concentrated fragrance. Some people are so sensitive, they cannot pour or have newly poured scented candles in their environment at all. Listen to your body... be wise and protect your nose & airways if necessary. What's even funnier is that when people are new, they just LOVE the fragrances and drink it in... then they wonder why they can't smell the fragrances when they go to test... ummmm... duh... Protect your snuffler!!!!

not sure what to do about him either

Wish I could help, but unless he understands how everything fits together, and y'all work out a system, he'll be a bull in a china closet. I poured with a partner for a long time and getting her to toe the line in certain areas was an aggravation... I DO enjoy having someone around to pout with, so before you run Hubby off with a stick, try to reason with him and train him to your pouring "system" procedures and data recording. Then you can have a buddy to have fun with while pouring.

he wants to add the dye, but not one drop at a time, lol.

The best way to judge the color of the wax (except with palm wax), is to drip a few drops on a white or reflective surface, allow to dry and observe. The finished color will appear darker and more vibrant than the test (because there's more of it when finished), so keep this in mind when adjusting color. Being careful & recording how many drops, etc. are used is how we learn how to reproduce pleasing colors. If you don't pay attention to this, you will never be able to get the same shade twice in a row... It's better tobegin with LESS and build up to the shade you desire. You can't take it out once it's in there LOLOL

I want to sit there and blow on them so they can cool and I can get the full color effect.

Cooling is an important aspect of the final appearance of the candle, so keep your blowin' lips away from those candles. Do NOT create drafts around your candle nor try to "hurry" the cooling. Slow and even is how the best candles are made. You didn't mention what kind of wax you are using, but if it is soy, you can really create some problems for yourself doing stuff like that - wavy tops, sinkholes, frosting, etc. So don't do dat no mo'...

I want to burn it now

Hide the candles. Let them cure. I know it's hard. Be strong in hopes that the HT will be when you finally get to test.

I did not order enough scents the first time and when I placed my order, I did not realize that I needed to use 1 ounce of fragrance per 1 pound of wax.

I hope that ALL new folks will read, read, read BEFORE they make their first order. But even so, you are bound to make little errors at first - that's how we learn. : )

I'm glad y'all are having fun - post some pics when you begin testing and read, read, read until then. : )

You said a mouthful-until you do it, you really don't know what it is like. After five+ years of pouring, I ordered online from Lowes some chemical respirator masks with a vent. Comfortable and they really help. It is a P95, 3M, part 8577. I would find after a day of pouring I would get breathing issues, and I pour outside. If you pour inside, it would probably be worse. As for the hubby, send him out on a long errand! And for your impatience, after you pour, go to the computer and start reading all the old posts on this forum and in the archive forum. You will be distracted and will leave your candles alone, as you should. Works for me every time! :laugh2:

You might want to mention to him that over-doing the color can impact the burn, making it very hard to test wicks! Good luck with your hubby - it's cool that he wants to be involved, so I agree - let him design his own candles (once he owns a process he'll behave better. probably.).

You said a mouthful-until you do it, you really don't know what it is like. After five+ years of pouring, I ordered online from Lowes some chemical respirator masks with a vent. Comfortable and they really help. It is a P95, 3M, part 8577. :
Those are really sanding respirators, for the most part. If you have serious problems, try something like this: http://www.lowes.com/pd_215253-98-65021HA1-A_0__?productId=3082307&Ntt=3m+masks&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3D3m%2Bmasks&facetInfo=