Scented sea salt..

kimmeroo

I have been reading the wickless section for quite some time now. I finally started testing the scented sea salt..omgosh! I used a tart bag and added some regular sea salt from my kitchen to it then added 1 TBLs of Drakkar (type) and shook it all up.I only let it sit for 30 minutes now it is on my burner(electric) and my house is filled with the scent!:yay:I even have a candle burning in the living room and the burner is out scenting it! I will see what the salt ends up doing...hoping it returns to it's dry state. I honestly thought the salt would melt when I added the FO... so pleased with this process so far...I have a ton of scents to use up and this sounds like a way to get rid of some of them!

I will be making some up for Christmas gifts, asking the ppl to test them for me. Any suggestions welcome!

I have been reading the wickless section for quite some time now. I finally started testing the scented sea salt..omgosh! I used a tart bag and added some regular sea salt from my kitchen to it then added 1 TBLs of Drakkar (type) and shook it all up.I only let it sit for 30 minutes now it is on my burner(electric) and my house is filled with the scent!:yay:I even have a candle burning in the living room and the burner is out scenting it! I will see what the salt ends up doing...hoping it returns to it's dry state. I honestly thought the salt would melt when I added the FO... so pleased with this process so far...I have a ton of scents to use up and this sounds like a way to get rid of some of them!

I will be making some up for Christmas gifts, asking the ppl to test them for me. Any suggestions welcome!

I missed that post but am off to make a baggie of it now. Wonder who ever thought of that? lol

Here is one of the threads I read...

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?68331-Aroma-Rocks-Crystal-Potpourri&highlight=scented+salt+rocks

Yes the bags you package tarts in...next time I will use a larger bag or jar. I have about a tablespoon in there. I went in a couple of times to check up on it and all is good..I used a skewer to stir it around a little. I can still smell it strong! I am very pleased with this scent. I will be testing the rest of the winter and into the spring. I have a seasonal business so summer would be limited. I am hoping to have enough tested scents to start selling by Fall.

Okay, question. This would be dead sea salt that one would scent for bath salts? For bath salts I use soap dye and body safe oils. Mine is a fine grain sea salt but they also sell a more coarse grain sea salt too. I've tried that crystal rock potpourri and it wasn't that great.

Okay, question. This would be dead sea salt that one would scent for bath salts? For bath salts I use soap dye and body safe oils. Mine is a fine grain sea salt but they also sell a more coarse grain sea salt too. I've tried that crystal rock potpourri and it wasn't that great.

I think the original poster is using this salt in a tart warmer/tart burner for scenting rooms, not as bath salt.

I poured quite a bit in the bottom of a zip lock bag...about 1/3 cup or so with 1 T of Peak Warm Apple Pie and it has great throw this morning. It was still like wet sand but not clumping wet sand anymore...if that makes sense? I'm testing a candle in the kitchen here yet the WAP from the LR is taking over the entire level.

Yes, the stuff you cook with..but I have found through 10 hours of testing...that it must be on the lower watt burners, I have a higher watt one and it started to get hot in the middle and discolor and dry out faster..I added a few sprinkles of water and that helped some, that also made the salt into one piece..so it was easier to get out of the burner. I would not use the higher watt burner..put that on your caution label and instructions if you end up selling this.

Edited by kimmeroo

So, what is the wattage of your burner? I have a two Candlewarmers and an OBI burner which are 24W or greather. I assume that may be on the high end. Also have a warming plate I got from Hobby Lobby, not sure what that is off the top of my head. Have you tried a tea light warmer?

ewww....I need to go check to see if mine are drying out or discoloring. I have a ScentSational (I think it is called) one. Believe the bulb is a 25 watt. Will report back if I find it getting too hot.

ok...checked and so far mine is doing fine but I am no where near the 10 hour mark yet. About 2-3 maybe so I'll be sure to turn it off before it starts getting too hot in there.

Thanks for letting us know that.

I do have a tea light burner I could try to see how that does. Also, a warmer plate...just trying to figure out what to put it in for the warmer plate. That is what I use to melt my wicks out of almost empty jars so am thinking that might get a little hot too.

Only way to know is to try.

Edited by jeanie353

Ok adding another thing to try to the list!

Definitely give it a try ChandlerWicks. I'm using sea salt right out of the kitchen for salting food and/or cooking. This stuff could go a long way depending how long the scent lasts. After all my tart testing, I kinda hope this doesn't last longer or I'd be back to square one with tarts...lol.

I think we have bags of small chunked salt in the garage for the softener. I might go dig into that and see how it works.

Edited by jeanie353

The minerals and natural moisture in sea salt can make FO's morph into really nasty smells over time. Make some of these and let them sit and see how they do. Regular sea salt may not be too bad, but I know dead sea salts with FO will smell downright funky after awhile!

So, what is the wattage of your burner? I have a two Candlewarmers and an OBI burner which are 24W or greather. I assume that may be on the high end. Also have a warming plate I got from Hobby Lobby, not sure what that is off the top of my head. Have you tried a tea light warmer?

I have one that is a Gold canyon burner..I think that one is 25w and that one is fine..even after 10 hours it still did not dry out or discolor. I have another one but I can't read the wattage..I know it is alot hotter than my GC one...that one started to dry out after a couple of hours.

I have one that is a Gold canyon burner..I think that one is 25w and that one is fine..even after 10 hours it still did not dry out or discolor. I have another one but I can't read the wattage..I know it is alot hotter than my GC one...that one started to dry out after a couple of hours.

Mine is still going since this morning and all is well. The bulb is 25 watt and sits pretty darn close to the tray. Anyway, still throwing like crazy and not dried out yet. Will turn it back on tomorrow for the day to see how long this stuff actually throws.

• 2 weeks later...
Mine is still going since this morning and all is well. The bulb is 25 watt and sits pretty darn close to the tray. Anyway, still throwing like crazy and not dried out yet. Will turn it back on tomorrow for the day to see how long this stuff actually throws.

Are you still testing the sea salt? I am...I think Iam going to keep on testing unti I get like 20 scents to choose from and try selling them next Fall. I am interested in just wickless as I have made candles for 18years and could never move them, too much competition here. So far only Scentsy around here, so will give it a shot at the local Craft Fairs and Bazaars. I want to eventually sell n assortment of wickless items..so moving on to something else that is "new". :)

Are you still testing the sea salt? I am...I think Iam going to keep on testing unti I get like 20 scents to choose from and try selling them next Fall. I am interested in just wickless as I have made candles for 18years and could never move them, too much competition here. So far only Scentsy around here, so will give it a shot at the local Craft Fairs and Bazaars. I want to eventually sell n assortment of wickless items..so moving on to something else that is "new". :)

I didn't have much luck into the 2nd day so I didn't put any more in since. How long is it lasting for you? I haven't gotten a chance to get into the softener salt in the garage to give that a try yet. I had quite a bit of sea salt in the baggie so I may have had the ratio off to keep it from throwing once it sat out overnight.