How to do the math for FO and wax?

I am sorry for my confusion but this is what I have done in the past with an 8 oz jar of soy wax.

I measure out 8 oz wax. Put it in presto pot. I then take my FO and do the math 8 x .09 since I do 9%. That comes to .72 and since my scale measures ounces in 5's I bump it to .75. Then I melt the 8 oz wax, pour in pitcher and at right temp add the .75 FO.

If I remember correctly that leaves just about .70-.80 leftover wax so I just make the extra into a wax melt.

However, I saw something on a thread about subtracting the FO from wax.

So, if I do that then 8 oz wax minus the .75 would be 7.25 of wax.

I then measure 7.25 wax on scale. Dump that into the presto pot, when it reaches correct temp I pour the 7.25 melted wax into my pouring pitcher, wait till correct temp to add .75 FO, however, that doesn't give me a full 8 oz to fill my 8 oz jar.

Which one is the correct way?

Oh, that gave me a headache, lol.

I'm not the candle-math whiz by any means, but 8 oz wax & .75 oz FO = 8.6%.

If you're using an 8 oz jar, you won't probably put 8 oz in it.

If I just want to make one 8oz jelly jar, I'll use about 6.5 oz wax & .5 oz FO. (just over 7%)

Hope that helps!

In my opinion, it really doesn't matter one way or the other as long as you like the results.

Now, that being said, the formula is more of a math question.

Right now you have 8.75 oz (8oz wax and .75oz FO). If you divide .75 by the total 8.75 you get 8.57% which is the true percentage of the FO in the entire candle.

If you want a true 9% the second way is more accurate. ( .75 divided by 8 is 9.3% )

Now considering that FO may be heavier on a scale - but take up less volume than the wax - it may not take up the same volume when you put it in the jar. I've calculated that for a 9% load (keeping the FO load @ .75oz) the total would be 8.3oz of FO & wax. (.75 divided by 8.3 is 9.0%) So subtract .75 from 8.3 and you will get 7.55 for the wax you will need.

Confusing? You bet! So back to my original statement ... as long as you are satisfied with the results, and do it the same way every time, it doesn't matter unless you are advertising that your candle has a specific % of FO.HTH

Edited by Judy, USMC

I am sorry for my confusion but this is what I have done in the past with an 8 oz jar of soy wax.

I measure out 8 oz wax. Put it in presto pot. I then take my FO and do the math 8 x .09 since I do 9%. That comes to .72 and since my scale measures ounces in 5's I bump it to .75. Then I melt the 8 oz wax, pour in pitcher and at right temp add the .75 FO.

If I remember correctly that leaves just about .70-.80 leftover wax so I just make the extra into a wax melt.

However, I saw something on a thread about subtracting the FO from wax.

So, if I do that then 8 oz wax minus the .75 would be 7.25 of wax.

I then measure 7.25 wax on scale. Dump that into the presto pot, when it reaches correct temp I pour the 7.25 melted wax into my pouring pitcher, wait till correct temp to add .75 FO, however, that doesn't give me a full 8 oz to fill my 8 oz jar.

Which one is the correct way?

Uh oh...:tiptoe::tiptoe::tiptoe:

I am not advertising my candles as any percent of FO. I will just stick with 8 oz solid wax and add 9% FO and just have a little extra wax for a melt since this is what I have done for years. Just got confused trying the "subtract your FO" method from total oz wax you will be using.......I hate getting confused and it doesn't take much LOL

No one is quibbling. If you were having trouble with wicking or with another candlemaking issue, that .4% might make all the difference. Is there anything wrong with simply being accurate?

I highly doubt it but can't prove it one way or there other, nor do I care too. Too many other variables that have more of an affect and a few 10ths of a percent of FO.

Edited by rjdaines

We are going to quibble about 8.6% and 9%? Really?

If you are pouring for yourself there's not a problem that I can see...

But I prefer the exact % because I sell and need to make multiple pours to keep my outlets supplied. I may need to make 5 jars of one aroma and 12 of another. Once I figure out the total quantity of scented wax I need to fill the various style jars (which can vary from 3.5 to 14.5 oz each) I can just take the % and know how much FO I'll need; subtract that from the total; and know how much melted wax I need to put in the pour pots.

That way there's no variation; my returning customers can not complain that the candle they just purchased smells any different than the one they bought 6 weeks ago. For me consistency is important and it's just easier for me to figure it out this way.

If you are pouring for yourself there's not a problem that I can see...

But I prefer the exact % because I sell and need to make multiple pours to keep my outlets supplied. I may need to make 5 jars of one aroma and 12 of another. Once I figure out the total quantity of scented wax I need to fill the various style jars (which can vary from 3.5 to 14.5 oz each) I can just take the % and know how much FO I'll need; subtract that from the total; and know how much melted wax I need to put in the pour pots.

That way there's no variation; my returning customers can not complain that the candle they just purchased smells any different than the one they bought 6 weeks ago. For me consistency is important and it's just easier for me to figure it out this way.

I like that! That makes perfect sense. :rockon:

*hiding*

Yes, it is all about consistency, which can be achieved using either method. If one made a 150 gram batch at 8% the adjusted percentage is 7.4%, if you made a 900 gram batch at 8% the adjusted percentage is still 7.4%. The only problem would be if a person switched back and forth between the subtraction and non subtraction method.

However, I agree that the "correct" way is the subtraction method but that for personal and non-commercial purposes either method if fine. This topic seems to overwhelm some people and at don't see the need to stress them further by arguing over a few tenths of a percent of FO. I try to state the facts about both methods and then let the person decide rather than reduce it to an issue of "right" or "wrong" because both are accurate if repeated in the same way. However, if people don't use the subtraction method, they need to be aware of the true percentage they are making and stating here. As in the above example, don't state 8% when it is actually 7.4%

Edited by rjdaines

Yes, it is all about consistency, which can be achieved using either method. If one made a 150 gram batch at 8% the adjusted percentage is 7.4%, if you made a 900 gram batch at 8% the adjusted percentage is still 7.4%. The only problem would be if a person switched back and forth between the subtraction and non subtraction method.

However, I agree that the "correct" way is the subtraction method but that for personal and non-commercial purposes either method if fine. This topic seems to overwhelm some people and at don't see the need to stress them further by arguing over a few tenths of a percent of FO. I try to state the facts about both methods and then let the person decide rather than reduce it to an issue of "right" or "wrong" because both are accurate if repeated in the same way. However, if people don't use the subtraction method, they need to be aware of the true percentage they are making and stating here. As in the above example, don't state 8% when it is actually 7.4%

Great post! When you say "adjusted percentage" you're referring to the non-subtraction method, right? 16 oz wax plus 8% FO gives you a mixture that is only 7.4% FO.

My 12 oz salsa jar holds 8 fluid oz of wax and is sold as an 8 oz candle. I mix 15 oz of wax with 1 oz fo for an exact pound with no waste (little over 6%) . If I'm pouring an fo (Vanilla Voodoo) that specifically warns me to reduce the fo per centage; then that's what I do and make sure that I add back the wax to make the one pound needed. KWIM?

Steve