anyone use the large salsa jars from

Imo, you should test the wick till the end of the jar so you know how it does...then if you think it is still to big make another tester using the CD16. Wicks behave differently through subsequent burns and its hard to tell from the 1st burn just how well it will or wont do. Of course, if its a torch or the wick drowns out, then yes pull it and try another, but if it looks decent then test it till the end...hth

I totally understand what your saying, but this isn't my first candle and with a flame as high as it was and it started to smoke and that's something I hate and then having to trim it 2 hours into the burn it was time to pull the 18 out and stick a 16 in which is what I did and the flame is much better now, now to see how it burns.

Imo, you should test the wick till the end of the jar so you know how it does...then if you think it is still to big make another tester using the CD16. Wicks behave differently through subsequent burns and its hard to tell from the 1st burn just how well it will or wont do. Of course, if its a torch or the wick drowns out, then yes pull it and try another, but if it looks decent then test it till the end...hth

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use the 12 oz and 16 oz salsas from another company (they are also called flint/straight sided jars) and use 18s and 20s on most fos. I use a 70-30 soy/paraffin blend which requires hotter temps for good results. The 16 oz jars can get fairly hot about mid way of the burn but if the fo is a heavy bakery blend it can't be helped. I use a 6-7% fo load.  HTH

Steve