New Mold

chuck_35550

I bought the 2 pound acrylic mold from Soapmaker's Resource and just made my first batch of soap in it. This is a small mold that is well made and very easy to unmold and clean after using. I love it. The recipe was extremely sticky and when I tried to push the soap up and out it wouldn't budge. I followed the instructions and placed into a 170 degree oven for about 5 minutes and the soap just popped out without any blemish. I then unscrewed the bolts and washed it up and had it back together in minutes; ready for another batch. The mold gave me 7 nice bars in excess of 5 oz each. I didn't use the lid or insulate (milk soap) but it did slightly gel around the upper part of the soap. The customer service is top notch and Steve (good name) will answer your e-mails. I was able to resolve my problem with Silvermoon so it all turned out nicely. HTH

Steve

I just ordered a 5 lb mold from them yesterday. I already have a homemade wooden 5 lb mold and love the size. I thought I would try these out and see how it goes. It's nice to know that people like their products, I hadn't heard about them before the other day. Now I have to wait patiently for it to come (they were on holiday break and probably have a backlog of orders).

Steve, I'm super jealous of your new mold. I want a log mold, too. Your new mold looks like a lot of thought went into it. Besides the obvious advantage of being transparent, in what other ways do you prefer it to silicone lined wood molds?

Sitting in our hotel room in the French Quarter full of red beans and rice thinking about finding a bucket of leaf lard. I've never had a silicone lined mold but I love the glass smooth sides you get from acrylic. Mostly, I love that it unmolds in seconds and easily cleaned. Being able to see is a real plus too. HTH

Steve

Hi Steve, welcome to New Orleans, but probably almost everyone around you is wanting LSU to win! Good thing I don't watch football! I got my loaf mold this afternoon and already have a batch of soap in it. I got the 5 lb. Ordered it monday and it was shipped tuesday. I'll unmold tomorrow, even though I'm dying to go look at it and try to unmold it. Find yourself some good poboys, fried oysters or fried shrimp is great. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I used it for a milk soap and it heated up pretty quickly. It bowed out a little, but was okay after taking the soap out (was easy to take out of the mold). It probably would be better to not do gelled soaps in it. I don't know if the lid would help the mold not bow, the channel in the top doesn't seem deep enough to hold it in place. I'll try again, if it does it again, DH said he'd make me something to keep the mold from bowing. He seems to think the acrylic they use isn't thick enough too not bow with the heat from gelling.

That's strange, mine is built like a Sherman tank. I guess the acrylic is about 1/2 thick at least but then, mine is only a two pound mold. I'll post some pics of my last several soaps. I just did a very wet and sticky soap that popped out of the mold with no effort and is beautiful to behold and then the clean up is so easy. I have carriage bolt screws through both ends and the bottom of the mold and the lid lightly fits on (the grooves could be deeper) but I wrapped the baby up in blankets and did not get a gel (soaped really cool temp and 38% water). I thought about a heating pad but the results are really nice withouth the gel IMHO. Did you put the mold in the oven for the gel?

Steve