I so want to learn how to make CP soap

ProudMarineMom

But, my husband sorta draws the line at hazardous chemicals. I'm not the most graceful of people and we have 3 small dogs who own the house (they just let us live here). We don't have a dedicated workshop, just our basement. I currently do M&P, which I enjoy, but would like to learn this process as well.

I've been reading the threads about lye being available at Ace Hardware or Lowes. Then I could just buy a small quantity just to test. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad to start.

So, how do those of you with pets and small children handle this?

Also, I have been reading some online articles about the CP process but would really like a good book before I try to make anything. Would the Soapmakers Companion be a good one to start with? Is there one that is better for a beginner? I've also been through the sticky in this forum, which has some good tips.

I would appreciate hearing your experiences and suggestions. :smiley2:

J

i would go to Millers soap site, she has a ton of info. I soap in a soap kitchen downstairs my cat knows he is not allowed in there.( he actually listens on that subject)

Do lots of reading and note taking and when you are ready you will know it. I had the lye and ingredients for months before I felt I knew enough and was comfortable enough to try it.

So, how do those of you with pets and small children handle this?

I soap in the kitchen in and next to the sink to minimize problems. I don't soap with ANYONE in the kitchen. I lock the cats outside and shut the cat door. I lock the dogs out of the kitchen. I don't answer the phone or the door when I am soaping. I give 100% of my attention to what I am doing. I never make exceptions to that rule. It's easier to prevent problems than it is to clean up after them.

my husband sorta draws the line at hazardous chemicals

Do you have gasoline in your garage? Lye is simply another hazardous chemical. If stored and used with precaution there is no reason to view it as being more hazardous than something which can explode, burn your house down or leave your skin hanging off your body in sheets. Use common sense and follow precautions, just as you (hopefully) would do when fueling a lawnmower or lighting a barbecue.

Do you have gasoline in your garage? Lye is simply another hazardous chemical. If stored and used with precaution there is no reason to view it as being more hazardous than something which can explode, burn your house down or leave your skin hanging off your body in sheets. Use common sense and follow precautions, just as you (hopefully) would do when fueling a lawnmower or lighting a barbecue.

Stella, you made me laugh (I know that was not your intent). It just puts some perspective on the situation. That is so true, gasoline, the bbq, our fireplace. Heck, don't even give me the chain saw. Talk about dangerous.

Basically, all of them you have to pay attention to what you are doing and use common sense like you said. I think it's just the mystery and lore that surrounds lye that makes people afraid of it. That is why I want to read and learn as much as I can. I think once I fully understand the process it won't seem to intimidating. That seems to be the one common theme I have seen in my reading. Always pay attention, do not get distracted, because it only takes a second.

Ktn, I probably won't even buy the lye until I think I'm ready to try. I actually just ordered a book from Amazon, Smart Soapmaking by Anne Watson. It had positive reviews from Kathy Miller from Millers and Anne-Marie from Brambleberry, so should have some good information. I already have the Millers Soapmaking boomarked.

Thank you both for the information.

Stella, you made me laugh (I know that was not your intent)

Actually, it was. :laugh2:

Sometimes I realize I have attitudes about certain things for silly reasons and when I think it all the way through, it makes my face red and my eyeballs roll.

Lye was a common chemical in nearly every household for the past century or more until we replaced it as a drain cleaner and started buying our soap at the grocery store. Same with ammonia. But because marketing has changed, people get all afraid and often don't realize they are using stuff that either has those ingredients in it or contain ones that are just as bad, if not worse.

Our great-great grammas made soap with lye and did not use latex gloves or goggles - those things just were not around! Nowadays we DO have them and so can eliminate some of the most common safety injuries of the material - splashing or splattering in eyes (only takes a teensy drop to ruin eye tissue) and onto hands and arms. I will certainly go that far but I am not wearing a hazmat suit even if it comes in purple!!

I made myself more comfortable by doing a few "dry runs," hanging up my formula at eye level so I could see it easily; writing out the steps I would take so I could follow a plan in case I lost my place (it happens...). Once I wrote out all of that and did a few dry runs, I felt more confident, so I took the plunge and SURVIVED!!!*super banana*

I actually measured out some lye and added it to water as part of the "dry run." Then I poured it down the sink (figured the old pipes could use some cleaning). I was bothered by the static electricity which caused granules to behave erratically and sometimes escape... Another member told me about using anti-static dryer sheets on the lye bottle. BRILLIANT!! No more static cling!!

It pays to plan. :smiley2:

Actually, it was. :laugh2:

Sometimes I realize I have attitudes about certain things for silly reasons and when I think it all the way through, it makes my face red and my eyeballs roll.

Oh good!! :thumbsup: I have a really warped sense of humor sometimes and some people don't understand. Just didn't want you to think I wasn't taking you seriously.

You've mentioned some good tips and I'll be sure to write them down. Dryer sheets, huh? Those little suckers are good for quite a few things.

I bought that same book--Smart Soapmaking and read that first. Plus I printed out the tutorial from this site. I think the book is good for a beginner. My only complaint with it is that it's strictly CP--nothing on HP or CPOP. I doubt I'll do anything other than CP but I want to understand all the processes. I've only made one batch so far but getting that first one done made me feel more confident. I soap in my basement and just close the door to keep my pets out. I have a laundry sink down there and I do everything in that sink. I have a couple of cheapie folding tables that I set everything out on beforehand (including the tutorial). then I kinda go through the process in my mind so I know I'll have everything I need within reach. I do wear long gloves, goggles, long sleeves, long pants and tennis shoes. (That's normal for me for winter but gotta remember that in summer).

Keep good notes. I try to write down everything (even my list of supplies/utensils--helps not to forget anything next time) so if something does go wrong, it'll be easier to figure out. The first batch went just fine though. I didn't color the first batch, trying to keep it simple. I was a bit paranoid of the lye so I even wore a painter's mask the first time but now I think that was overkill. I saw that tip about using the dryer sheet on the lye container so I went ahead and did that.

My husband does woodworking--if he doesn't pay close attention, he can lose a finger (which almost happened a couple of times) so you always need to keep close attention to whatever you're doing (even cooking is dangerous).

The first time I just used oils I could get at the grocery. No use wasting money if you decide you don't like it. I never tried M&P; just doesn't seem the same as doing it yourself. I have since ordered a few things for my second batch (which I plan to do today; everything is set out for me to use).

I don't have any small children so you'd need a time when you can be sure they will be otherwise occupied.

Edited by jackie

Just one more tip. Do not make soap wearing fleece, it attracts the lye beads something awful.

Well darn, I guess the sweats are out. My slaps and socks are probably not a good idea either! :cheesy2:

I figured I was going to have to wear something more sensible along with gloves and goggles. Although, I probably would have worn a sweatshirt. It's the only thing long-sleeve that I have. Thanks for the info.

Edited by ProudMarineMom

Jackie, good to know about the book, I hope it will be a good place to start. I'm only interested in CP at the moment, so not mentioning CPOP or HP isn't too much of a concern. But your right, having a section on the processes would have been nice in order to understand the differences.

I have a mask that I got from one of the suppliers. I'll probably wear that just to be safe. I already have quite a few oils and other ingredients because I do B&B type stuff so have the stuff on hand. My problem will be keeping the dogs out of the basement if I'm down there. If scratching at the door doesn't work they will just go out the doggy door and stare at me thorough the outside basement door. My dogs have mastered the pitiful look.

Lye isn't so terrible. I used to soap in my kitchen, I have 4 cats now, 3 at the time. I kept a squirt bottle near me at all times just in case a nosey little feline got too curious about what mom was doing since I couldn't lock them out of the room in our old place. Keep a bottle of vinegar nearby just in case you do happen to splash lye on yourself too. I think once my hand slipped and I sloshed a little on my arm. It stung a bit, I hit it with some vinegar and it wasn't too bad. Use safety and common sense, it's not half as dangerous as you're thinking. In all reality, a frying pan full of oil is as dangerous if not more so.

I have a very nosy bunny that likes to come in the kitchen and get in trouble, but when I'm soaping I have a doggie fence I put up to keep him out. Well sometimes he figures out how to move it lol. I agree with starr though it isn't as dangerous as you think. Most soapers were in your shoes though in the beginning I mean I studied for months before I got the nerve to do it. Once you get in there and do a few batches it will be a breeze. Just take the normal precautions and don't watch youtube videos on it most of them don't even wear gloves which is scary to me. I mainly learned from millers soap & this forum :)

I have to disagree with you Starr. Lye is dangerous, very dangerous. It is all about respecting the lye as you would a hot fry pan full of oil. Anything that can distract you while you make soap should be avoided.

If you happen to get a bit of raw soap on your skin flush it with water for a long time, not vinegar.

Lye isn't so terrible.

Yes, actually it is.

I agree with starr though it isn't as dangerous as you think

Obviously it is far more dangerous than you realize or appreciate. ANY ER worker will vouch for the serious danger of exposure to lye.

I have to disagree with you Starr. Lye is dangerous, very dangerous.

You betcha!!! Lye is NOT a chemical to take lightly. While people work safely with it every single day, its power to cause permanent damage to your skin, eyes, mucous membranes, and lungs should NEVER be taken lightly.

THINK, PLAN, PROTECT and PAY ATTENTION.

KEEP ALL ANIMALS OUT OF THE AREA (including the 2 legged species)!!!

I am not at all afraid to work with hazardous chemicals but I NEVER minimize their potential for serious harm, not only to me, but to any living creature around me. It's far easier to prevent than it is to mitigate a spill.

Plan every move you will make with it. Think about what you would do if it spilled and how to clean up a dry spill on the counter, on the floor, in the sink or on your clothing, body or face; Think about what you would do if you had a liquid splatter on your clothing, body, face or eyes. Understand that if you get even the tiniest droplet in or near your eye, this is a medical emergency and you should have someone drive you to the ER immediately, irrigating your eye all the way. Don't stop irrigating until the ER doc tells you to do so.

Flushing with cold WATER for 15-30 minutes is the correct move to make. If the splatter on your skin is very minor, follow up the cold water flushing with vinegar if you like, but the FIRST thing to do is flush lye-containing liquid off your skin with COPIOUS quantities of COLD water.

Do NOT flush dry lye exposure until you have brushed away as much of the material from your skin as possible. Be mindful of keeping the granules contained so as not to spread the spill. Remember to use a DRY paper towel or cloth to carefully brush away the dry granules and powder BEFORE flushing from your skin with LOTS of COLD water.

Personally, I would not consider soaping ANYWHERE but in, or right next to, a sink with cold running water available. A little spray bottle does NOT get it. I DO keep a gallon container of vinegar nearby for application AFTER I irrigate my skin thoroughly for several minutes - it DOES help neutralize any remaining lye, but WATER is the first treatment for liquid lye exposure. Obviously, vinegar should NOT be put in your eye or on any mucous membrane exposed to lye - keep irrigating those areas with cold water and seek medical attention immediately.

No one should be terrified of working with lye, but the safety and first aid relevant to its use should be PLANNED and well-considered. Taking precautions, prior planning and treating it with respect will go a long way toward insuring you will not have to deal with any emergency.

Gasp, lol. Lye is just a pain in the rear. Mix it up outside if you want and use a plastic water jug with a good tight lid and label it with lye in large black letters but don't let the fear of lye keep you from soaping. I found these really great playtex gloves that fit real tight and go up the arm and are cheap. Use and toss. Goggles and a mask put it up out of reach and prepare your oils, get everything in place and then focus. I'm with Stella, no interruptions while soaping. Get out of my lab and forget asking me questions and only answer phone emergencies. Not because I'm afraid but because it takes all your focus to get things right. My goal is to eventually have total control over the soaping process. Make those oils get in line and make those colorants and additives behave when you want them to behave and get a product that is totally expexted and planned from the get go. I love the creativity of this medium. There is never a time I'm not thinking about what soap will be next and running down the ingredients I need. So addicted. Thanks everybody for causing me to live in a cardboard box (jk).

Steve