My 1st big 6006 pour.............needs help!

Hi all, Only a newbie:smiley2:Just wanted some advice or tips on my first pour.Heres the details:

100% 6006

9% lonestar creamy vanilla

heated: 197

frag added: 170

poured: 160

Jar size: 3inch diam 3.75 height

Eco 12 & 14 huge dancing flames, lots of black smoke

HTP 105 ok flame, no smoke

HTP 126 dancing flame with black smoke

CD 16 ok flame, no smoke

CD 18 big dancing flame with black smoke

Would love some tips or advice before i begin take 2

Cheers:smiley2:

post-14128-139458492787_thumb.jpg

I would add the FO at 185 degrees and stir very thoroughly for at least 2 minutes, then pour at 150 into prewarmed jars. For 3" diameter either a 60 zinc or 62 zinc will be perfect. Zincs work great in 6006.

Some add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil per pound of wax to 6006, and next time I use 6006 I'm going to try that.

Vanilla's are difficult to wick and to get a good HT with, since it's very heavy, so you might have to cut down to a lower FO load. I wouldn't start with Vanilla.

Those are pretty jars, where are they from?

Edited by HorsescentS

Hi There Jillfisher, As one newbie to another here goes. IMVHO most of the wicks except for the Htp105 are way too big by the looks of the flames. I use a similar sized jar & different waxes but maybe this will help:

Eco6 or Eco8 to start.

Cd10 or Cd14 to start. Cd12 is listed bigger on the Wicks Unlimited charts & definitely burns hotter in my tests.

Htps I need to retest everything because by the 3rd burn all wicks acted up horribly. Believe too much FO%.

I started backing down my FO% & the difference is amazing. Finally getting somewhere, might be ready to sell in another year. LOL

Here's another thing I've forced myself to do that is changing things around. Unless the wick is drowning/torching/severe tunneling/mushrooming I leave it in until the end of the jar. HTH a little.

I agree with ChandlerWick, people new to candle making (myself included) fall into the "more is better" syndrome; bigger wicks, more FO and this typically hurts rather than helps. What I have found to be the most helpful is to get wick sample packs and you seem to have done that :)

Now you have to get your FO% down to the 6% range and pick one that easier to work with. I still am not touching vanillas even after a year of development testing. With paraffin or parasoy (6006), don't wick for a quick, full melt pool. It's not the same as soy. In my experience, that just leads to a hot container and soot.

The jars look like frosted tumblers....Genwax has them in 7oz and 10oz sizes...I am looking at the 7oz ones myself.

Thanks! My daughter and I saw some stunning frosted Metro/Status jar candles at Ulta. I think the only problem with frosted jars is they show wet spots even more, right? But eventually, I'd love to use them.

Thanks for the tips, would raspberry & cream be a better FO to begin with? Its a lonestar as well.

I haven't worked with that one, the cream suggests vanilla to me but I'm not sure. You don't want a heavy (viscous) FO like Cinnamon Buns or Pumpkin Souffle. Some I can suggest would be Bird of Paradise, Orange Blossom, Blueberry Muffin, Coconut Lime & Verbena, Lilac, Mediterranean Fig, and Pink Sugar which all come from Peak's.

I have learned to embrace the dancing flame with a cd or cdn. I know you want a kick butt candle that amazes everybody but heavy on the fo in 6006 will make you pull your hair out trying to wick it. Be gentle and try this tip: pour out 15 oz wax and 1 oz fo and add at 180 degrees and let cool on your counter and make sure to leave lots of room between the jars. If you are using color then toss both in the pot and gently stir for about 2 minutes and pour gently into your jars (keep air bubbles down) and wick with cds or lxs IMHO. HTH

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

Thanks for the tips, i'm in the process of my second go. I changed scents to a butter pecan pie FO, 6%, added frag at 180 & poured at 150. So now i wait til the 1st burn. I also went down wick sizes. I've still only got cd's, eco's & HTP. Waiting on LX & zincs to arrive.

chuck:

I have learned to embrace the dancing flame with a cd or cdn. I know you want a kick butt candle that amazes everybody but heavy on the fo in 6006 will make you pull your hair out trying to wick it. Be gentle and try this tip: pour out 15 oz wax and 1 oz fo and add at 180 degrees and let cool on your counter and make sure to leave lots of room between the jars. If you are using color then toss both in the pot and gently stir for about 2 minutes and pour gently into your jars (keep air bubbles down) and wick with cds or lxs IMHO. HTH

Steve

I actually made 6006 candles with 12% FO load, after a local candle shop owner told me she always did that, and I had no problem wicking them with zincs. There was no soot and the mushrooms were even smaller than what I got with a lower FO load, for some reason. I didn't use any additives. They sure were strong, but the ones that were left in an un-airconditioned room seeped a lot of FO, the others were fine. Whenever I visited that candle shop, I'd find one out of every ten of her candles that I sniffed had a bit of oil seeping on top, but she said that when the customers asked about it, she'd tell them she used a bit too much fragrance, and they actually liked that idea so they bought them. She never had a problem with candles catching fire, and mine didn't catch fire either because the wax melts too fast for the seepage spots to heat up and ignite. But, since I don't want to take the chance and I don't think I have to use that much FO for a strong HT, I don't go as that high anymore.

When adding the FO at 185, whilst stirring do u keep the temp around the 185ish mark for a few minutes or do you add the FO and stir for a few minutes as the temp drops to pouring temp?

Hope this makes sense!

I add the FO at 185 and stir a bit while the pot is still on the heat, and then I remove it from the heat and keep stirring for at least 2 minutes or until I'm at my pour temp of 150, but you have to stir before you pour anyway in case the FO has settled to the bottom of the pot. But, I'm no expert, I'm still new.

Edited by HorsescentS

Most on here know that I don't do candles. Not sure I ever want to, but then again, I said that about soap and yeah we all see where that went LOL. Anyway, I do read the candle forums because that way if I ever do decide to take the plunge, I'll have SOME sort of an idea. I just wanted to pop in and tell the OP that I really loved seeing your testers sitting side by side, all lit up at the same time, with the names of the wicks on each jar. It's shots like that, that makes it a lot easier for those of us who have no clue, to understand it so much better. Thanks so much for posting!