Weakening HT

Seems natural to me and I see it too. FO are volatile oils, which is why we smell them. The release of these oils will not be uniform throughout the life of the candle. Mine start of good in the beginning but have the smallest melt pool at that point, as the flame descends into the container it becomes hotter and the melt pool larger. The HT also becomes stronger. By the last third I can imagine that some of the FO in that part of the candle has left do to the container heat and melt pool depth. I suppose you could wick your candle to give the minimal melt pool size and container heating to make for a more uniform experience. Bottom line: a quick melt pool is not a good thing (not saying that your's is). Your above recipe looks good to me, I pour at 165.

Longer cure time IMHO. Your fo should be fully incorporated throughout the wax if you blended for at least several minutes. I guess you're rationale would be that if the wax is hotter the fo will fully incorporate? If the fo was heavy it should give you great ht in the final burn because it might have settled but lighter fos usually take a longer cure time.

HTH

Steve

My point was that was a candle burns you may draw FO from the underlying wax (more so it one burns the candle hot). At some point, you would have less FO in the lower third. Pour temp has more to do with the cosmetics of the candle surface. Add FO at the manufacturer's recommended temp.

Edited by rjdaines

I have never had a candle throw less at the bottom than at the top. I cure my candles for a week. The FO is completely incorporated into the wax because of the temperature at which it is added and the amount of stirring I do to insure it is well-mixed. There is no chance of separation of any kind.

However, I HAVE had occasions when I lit a candle that had been burned previously and failed to notice the scent because my nose had become inured to the fragrance or I had been pouring recently. Candle nose is a terrible thing!!