CP clumping before adding fo.

Oceangazer1

Not sure what's going on. I have clumping using my SB for just a couple of pulses before adding fo, so it's not due to that. I'm trying to soap cooler around 100-110. At 120, I don't usually have an issue. Why can some of you soap at RT and not have an issue with clumping oils/lye?

I have been soaping at 100 degrees or less. I just always wait for my oils and lye to get to 100 before I start. My thermometer doesn't read below 100 so I figure I will just go ahead. I don't want my hard oils to start reforming again and "clouding". That temp has been working best for me. I wait until both the lye and my oils are the same temp to start.

Not sure what's going on. I have clumping using my SB for just a couple of pulses before adding fo, so it's not due to that. I'm trying to soap cooler around 100-110. At 120, I don't usually have an issue. Why can some of you soap at RT and not have an issue with clumping oils/lye?

is this clumping happening after you have added the lye/water?

if so, try using just a hand wisk to smooth it back out..sometimes it can be false trace..

or is it a fo. that is a noted seizer? if so I would only use a hand wisk.

What does it do when it clumps, and you then add you fo.?

I add my fo. to my oils and mix really well before adding lye/water.

that works really well for me..that way my fo is already mixed in well, in case something does go wrong..

What is your hard oils/soft oils ratio? I have 60 hard/40 soft, soap just below 100 degrees and it is perfect. room temp speeds the trace, so does soaping hotter.

Some butters speed up the trace as well, can't remember off hand which ones but they do.

I do a variation of RT using lava hot lye and unmelted RT butters/oils and don't experience what you describe despite using lipids that are traditionally finicky about temps (like palm) or that are rumored to speed trace (like shea for instance).

Is your room's ambient temp really low? Depending on your formula some of your hard oils could be congealing creating a false trace.

This clumping happens before I add the fo. I'm thinking it might be my hard/soft oil ratio. For butters, I mainly use cocoa, but it happens with shea also.

I'm going to try and soap a little warmer again. It's not too cool in here. We keep it at around 75-80*. I'm also going to keep my whisk right by my side

since I maybe needing it more often. If I may ask for those of you who soap RT do you have a higher ratio of soft oils....without giving any specifics? Sounds like it's my ratio...I will let you know how I make out next time. Thanks all!! :)

I get that sometimes with shea and cool temps. I keep my temps under 100 degrees when using full gm and no water. Try upping your water percentage if you are less than 38% and see if that gives you a little more wiggle room from thin to medium trace at about 100 "degrees. HTH

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550