Where does everyone sell their candles?????

I was wondering where everyone sells their candles. I make candles and melts. I have done a few craft shows during the summer and around the holidays, but this time of year their isn't anything going on. I also have them in 3 different stores, but not much going on there either.

Cheerleaders, dance teams, band, seniors for prom, I've contacted two Relay for Life teams, and one contacted me on its own,.. I just make up a small sampling of what I do, a little brochure and contact information, and include a letter of introduction and explain what I can do for them by offering the "different than normal" fundraiser items.

Schools , all levels, are great places to get in with fundraisers. Every year, our school systems budgets are cut further and further, leaving less room in the budget to fund projects, trips, etc . There are so many clubs , sports teams, bands, etc that always needing to raise money for new uniforms, field trips or school trips, etc. Good luck!

Tammy, I hope you will take this in the spirit given, but all you have on your lovely website is your company name. Anyone hitting your site has no idea where you are or even your first name. The only way to contact you is using your contact form. People will not recommend nor buy from a small business type site with such limited access to the owners. They do not know if you are legitimate or not. I've been selling only on the internet for almost 15 years now, and get phone orders all the time, plus people know where I'm located so they know the time zone and call at appropriate times. I think it would make a difference if you included more information about yourself. There's approaching 9800 members here and we all know you're in OK, so what could it hurt:wink2:?

Edited by Bernadette
left something out

Good point, Bernadette. The "About" of a website is very important. Your website is well-organized and very clean but needs "dressing up" a little. Something other than a simple catalog of merchandise helps - a little chatty description or verbiage goes a long way toward "personifying" a website. Pay special attention to photos. Make sure your candles are finished and displayed in a pleasing manner. Lids should be displayed with less emphasis than the candle itself. Your pillars are lovely, but are not displayed to show off their beauty. Set the mood! Candleholders sell best when they have lighted candles in them to show how pretty they look. Gift baskets should be dressed out just as the customer will receive them. When describing the products, give the wording some pizzaz. Write a FAQ or Information sheet for general information about your products. The description is not the place to discuss frosting issues. Sending out quarterly newsletters, sales offers, etc. from your customer mailing list helps boost sales. Pay attention to holidays, special events, etc. St. Paddy's Day is coming up, then Easter, then Mothers' Day...

As for sales, I sell everywhere I go! Always have business cards, an order form and a few samples of your products with you. Selling to friends, coworkers, neighbors, the people in your doctor & dentist's offices, folks at the place where you get your hair cut, your local convenience store employees, are also great ways to get your name out there. Have plenty of promotional materials with you at all times so that if someone shows an interest, there is a business card and order form with photos available for them to take home. Leave flyers with contact information and photos everywhere! When you are not actively making candles, you should be promoting them. Best of luck to you!! HTH :-)

I have a web-site www.greencountrycandles.com I have not had that much success. It does take a while. At least that is what I tell myself.

More constructive criticism... just wanted to chime in about something I've noticed when I look at your site. Maybe your pictures should be centered & zoomed in on the candle jar itself. The lid seems distracting, especially when it's in front of the candle. Why not take the pictures with the lids on? Then the pictures would be uniform and not so random.

HTH!

More constructive criticism... just wanted to chime in about something I've noticed when I look at your site. Maybe your pictures should be centered & zoomed in on the candle jar itself. The lid seems distracting, especially when it's in front of the candle. Why not take the pictures with the lids on? Then the pictures would be uniform and not so random.

HTH!

I agree on zooming in. The pictures of a product are very important and they should be very big, as large as possible.

I sell to friends and co-workers mostly. I have an annual wholesale account that keeps me busy during the holiday season and occasionally get large orders but this is just a part-time business and one that I have been developing for about 7 years now. You will evolve over time and your product(s) will change until you are reasonably satisfied and then you will change again. Customers are very difficult to read and the only golden rule I have adopted is "Never Throw Anything Away" sooner or later you will use it. Most people don't know about my products and I'm satisfied with it that way. If it were full time I would be really aggressive about wholesale and retail accounts. HTH

Steve

I have a facebook page, when time is slow for me that just means ppl are busy enjoying what I have created... I take that time to stock up and make more for the next big rush..I also do give aways which is fun I love it and it gives a new customer a chance to try my products...then their friends like etc etc you know how facebook is lol :)

What do you consider, "not much going on"? I just got my products, candles and melts, in one store starting in February and made about $500 after fees. Is that considered not much, 'cause I'm not sure if I should be happy or disappointed?

What do you mean when you say 'after fees'? Are you including the cost of supplies, labor, and utilities?

'cause I'm not sure if I should be happy or disappointed?
I do not believe that you don't know if you are doing well or not.
Tam116
You have to have a shop owner that loves your product and will promote it. Maybe ask her to burn a candle or give her a tart warmer to melt your tarts in. . Consignment shops are great places and they need the scent to help with the musty scent they sometime have. Ask them to sell warmers, give them the names of companies that sell warmers. Irvins punched tin. Jackel etc. Tell them they can sell more tarts if they sell the warmers. Edited by Sharon in KY

JMO but :

If I had my stuff only in one store, just got them in, in Feb, its now only March 8th, and you posted this days ago, and you've made $500.00 out of that one store.... Personally ? I'd be doing freakin back flips, handstands and a couple of cartwheels thrown in for good measure. Honey, I dont know where you are ( forgot to look ) but, for the majority of all candle makers and bath and body product makers, THIS IS THE SLOWWWWWWWWWWW season...

You might not know if you're happy or should be disappointed , but from my end? I'd be thrilled !

omg..... I believe ClassicCandle was being a wee tad sarcastic showing the OP that this isn't true for everyone: "but this time of year their isn't anything going on." He knows he did quite well. :)