Anybody used Crisco butter flavored shortening

Candybee

Butter crisco ingredients: SOYBEAN OIL, FULLY HYDROGENATED PALM OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM AND SOYBEAN OILS, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS), BETA CAROTENE (PRO VITAMIN A) ADDED FOR COLOR.

White Crisco ingredients: SOYBEAN OIL, FULLY HYDROGENATED PALM OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM AND SOYBEAN OILS, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS).

So looks like the only difference is the flavoring and the Beta Carotene for color. Neither of which will be effected badly by the lye. So you should be able to use the "new crisco" values in soap calc for it.

I've used the regular Crisco in soap without it developing DOS or going rancid, but I don't use a very high percentage of it.

While using butter flavored Crisco has a major *ick* factor for me (I just can't reconcile butter flavor + soap), I see no reason why you couldn't use it successfully. Even if it DOSs or separates or some other horrid soap thing, it won't blow up your kitchen, so I think you should go play with SoapCalc and then go for it!! Maybe it will turn out so well I'll have to get over my *ick* factor and try it myself! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I'm still thinking of using it. Just because I have it! LOL

I have tried the regular crisco but not had it around long enough to see any DOS.

I may save it to try out my first batch of goat milk soap.

Mine usually went DOS in 2 weeks so I can't use it that quick lol. I bought one of those giant cans last year made many batches and they all did the same thing. Even the laundry soap bars went. I stick with the walmart veg shortening it never does this to me. Hope your batches go better than mine lol

I've never had dos from using Crisco but it doesn't make up a large amount in the recipe. Quiet Girl's recipe by all rights ought to turn into one big lump of dos but its a really excellent bar of soap, so go figure. You could use the butter Crisco with a sugar cookie or some other bakery fo and I bet it would be pretty nice.

Steve

Mine usually went DOS in 2 weeks so I can't use it that quick lol. I bought one of those giant cans last year made many batches and they all did the same thing. Even the laundry soap bars went.

DAYUM!! Sometimes I wonder how long some of the cans sit on the shelves before we buy them... and how old the ingredients were when they made the stuff, etc. I have a feeling this is a good example of poor quality control in manufacturing facilities...