Why does my candle wax have a crack?

CB 135.

1 lb wax with 1oz FO.

Heat wax to 185 degrees, then add FO and stir well, no dye, then pour into tin at 125 degrees.

Room temp was 76 degrees.

Why does it have a crack?

post-13836-13945849987_thumb.jpg

Edited by BPP

Looks like it cooled too quickly and sank in the center. Can you pour it any cooler or warm the room up a touch?

Yes..I can pour cooler. CS says to pour this wax between 120-130 degrees.

Hello,

I would pour the wax at 120 degrees and the room temperature should be fine.

I just made 100 candles the other day with my AC on set at 75 and poured my wax at 120 (using a custom blend I created of soy wax) without any cracks or wet spots.

HTH.

Ok...I will try that.

I use a large carboard box with a wooden shelf on the bottom that is level (so the tops will be level). I warm my jars in a toaster oven and take them out and wick them and place in the box and close the flaps and cover with a blanket. If your tins are room temp (say 72 degrees) and your wax is 185 degrees and left in the open then you're going to have uneven cooling which causes stress on the wax that has hardened on the outside IMHO. Anything is worth a try if it improves the appearance of your product. HTH

Steve

Pouring temperature does matter. The rate of cooling is dependent on the difference in temperature between the wax and the surroundings (Newton's law of cooling). The closer those two temps are initially, the slower the cooling.