cyclo, driflo, IPM...

ksranch

I want to make my DH some body butter for his horribly dry hands, and have been doing research (damn insomnia). I think I've decided on a recipe and what butters and oils, but am confused in this area. Cornstarch, tapioca starch, cyclo, driflo, IPM all used to lessen the greasiness - (which will be important to my DH) okay - but I don't find anything as to why one would be better than another. The prices and availability vary a LOT on these, so if anyone could share some insight, I would be most appreciative. :confused: TIA

IPM would probably work good for what you are trying to accomplish. It will cut the greasiness and help the butters sink in. I wouldn't go overboard with the IPM because it can make the butter a bit more difficult to spread and might feel drying. Are you using an emulsifier or just making a whipped butter?

In my body butter I use Dry Flo, don't need much, because it gives me a nice slip and bit of a silky feeling. But, it's designed to just apply and let sink in.

I was just going to do a whipped butter. I've only found one place that has IPM, and I don't really want to get the oils there... would you mind saying where you get yours? (perhaps it's not coming in my searches).

And, TY for the input.. I'd like my first batch to not be a complete fail, especially with the price of jojoba.. :laugh2:

Yes, I did search with that name - thanks for the other choices, I finally found it at Brambleberry as well.

I just got off my butt and checked my bottle. I got it from MMS.

BB does sound like a fun place to pick it up. So much to add to the shopping cart there :)

I was so scared making my first batch of lotion and whipped butter but it went fine. If it doesn't whip enough, you might want to chill it for a tiny bit and whip more. I like use IPM and/or cyclo and sometimes DryFlo or corn starch in almost all my stuff because I don't like greasy (except for feet products) yet I like it to glide instead of drag.

Have fun :)

Edited by jeanie353

Yep, I'm going to order Monday - I'll be nervous on the first batch, but I am determined to find something that works for him. He works hard, and when I watch his hands split open it's heart wrenching. Thanks for the encouragement, watch for "help!" posts next weekend - :laugh2::laugh2:

I originally grabbed some IPM from Southern Soapers before they went out of business. After that, Lotioncrafter. They have great products and customer service. And, shipping is pretty reasonable as well. But, if you can find it at a supplier you already use, all the better.

I recently found another supplier that I have been getting some ingredients because LC doesn't have them and the prices are pretty darn good. You do have to look at the different shipping options to find the best price. So far, the products I have ordered seem to be good quality. Place is called The Chemistry Connection (Save on Citric) - not the same place as The Chemisty Store.

http://www.saveoncitric.com/ismy.html

Good luck with your whipped butter!

J

Edited by ProudMarineMom