Cases versus slabs of wax. Wow. I have been spoiled!

I just received my first cases of wax. I had ordered slabs previously. From a few places. They came nicely shrink wrapped or bagged and clean.

Just opened my first cases and it was a different experience. The 4630 was in a plastic bag but it had ripped and the box was covered in wax. It is such a soft wax and it is 90 degrees outside so I kind of understand.

The 4625 box was more broken and I was surprised to open it (that was easy, anyway) to find 6 slabs tossed in the cardboard box. NO bag, no wrap of any kind. Some of the wax had broken and my guest room floor was covered in wax bits. The slabs will take some work to get cleaned up before I melt.

Is this just the nature of the beast? I'll likely be back to slabs when I order again, I was just curious if this is your experience or normal with cases.

Thanks!

I buy in multiple cases, both of the waxes you mention. The 4625 doesn't come in bags - just slabs in the box. It's not unusual for the box to be beaten up or some of the slabs 'broken' - but no idea how yours could get dirty or end up with little bits to spread around. I know the delivery people give these boxes quite a beating cause they are so heavy, but that sounds a bit over the top. The 4630 - best not to order cases in the heat - it will always end up messy (ask me how I know lol )

I received a case where UPS had torn the box and the plastic cover had been ripped. There was an oily substance on the wax, so I called the distributor and complained. They had me to email them photos of the damage and filed a damage claim against UPS. I got another case of wax (2 for 1) and an apology. There is no excuse for that kind of poor customer service for the price we are paying for product and shipping.

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

All is well now. I got each into the clean, heavyweight trash bags. The boxes were not salvageable so are in the trash.

I was just surprised. We have 3 little dogs and as hubby was carrying the boxes into my guest room (cool, dark room where I store my stuff), pieces were falling out of one of the boxes (4625). The reinforcing straps were still mostly intact but the sides of the box were broken out (no salvagable way to stack these box on box). I was trying to keep the puppies from getting the pieces. The other box (4630) had 2 sides broken out and wax had clearly melted as it was all over the sides of the box. It would be impossible to call the 4630 slabs. It is now a 60 pound chunk of wax. That is okay though since I cut it off in chunks to use it anyway.

I suppose that I see the pictures on websites of the IGI white boxes and expected a box within a shipping box. I pictured that it was a lidded box for reuse. NONE of what I got could be used for storage.

The wax is not dirty but is not littered with cardboard box pieces.

• 2 weeks later...
Posting the video here as well. Should have photographed the boxes. The 4630 was broken on corners and had wax melted clear through to the outside of the case. I thought this was normal. Guess I learned!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN7Yqotz71w

I think that's totally unacceptable! You might check the shipping from LoneStar in Dallas, TX might not be bad to your location. And even though Candle Science is all the way in NC, I get cheap shipping from them to me in OK. Maybe they package their wax better, like LoneStar does.

Here is the email I sent to Peak:

I want to start with letting you know that I am asking for nothing. I am not looking to get anything from this email other than for you to be aware. The wax is at my home and is usable. I will no longer buy my cases from you and I wanted you to know why. I hope you can make a small change because I enjoy buying from you and here in Missouri, you are closer than other suppliers and you ship my things SUPER fast and I appreciate that very much! I have always bought slabs of wax from you. Each was nicely wrapped. I have a one day show upcoming and bought cases of the wax I wanted for this event. I did not know what to expect so thought what I received was normal. Upon asking on craftserver, I learned that this is not normal. Unfortunately, the boxes were a mess and have been discarded. I wish I had photographed them. Each box was broken at the corners. The 4625 had one white strap still attached to the box. As my husband carried the box to my wax room, pieces of broken wax trailed him. We had to take a trash bag out to the porch to collect the case of 4630 as the box wax broken and melted wax was inside and out. I should also learn to not order in the summer.

I'd LOVE to buy from you again but would need to know that you had chosen a heavier internal bag and used them on all cases of wax. I've had a lot of clean up of cardboard box bits in each wax..

Here is a link to my post and also a youtube video I wanted to share when folks there were telling me that they stack boxes on each other for storage. I could not understand that as my boxes were not salvageable at all.

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?105865-Cases-versus-slabs-of-wax.-Wow.-I-have-been-spoiled!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN7Yqotz71w

I appreciate you being open to this change.

Thank you so much!!

Their response back to me:

Thank you for your email and we appreciate your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that the way your wax arrived did not meet your expectations. The cases we sell are packaged by the manufacturer, in this case IGI. In doing so, I am sure IGI is trying to keep costs down to keep the wax affordable. They could potentially package with a heavier liner, or higher quality corrugated cardboard boxes, or both. However, that would inflate the cost of the wax, perhaps to a point that candle makers could not afford it. It would also increase the amount of packaging materials used, which might pose environmental concerns.

We do have the option of re-packaging the wax, which is what we do with individual slabs. As you can see though, that does come at an added cost. The best way to ensure that your wax arrives neatly packaged would be to continue to order the slabs. The cases are really intended as a bulk wholesale product, where the primary objective is to deliver bulk amounts of product at the lowest possible price.

Also, damage and melting can occur during UPS transit, especially with the lower melt point waxes during the summer months, but even so the wax is almost always still usable, since you will just be melting it down anyway. When using UPS ground shipping, UPS does not, and is not required to, maintain climate control during transit. Options to circumvent this problem would include selecting higher melting point waxes, or ordering sufficient supplies in the cooler months of the year to last you through the warmer months.

Another option that works for some is to simply order in LTL (pallet) quantities. In such a situation, there is minimal handling of the cases, and damage is less likely. However, some melting may still occur in transit. The users of wax in this quantity typically add complete cases to a melter at one time, so minimal packaging is desired, and is in fact better for the environment.

We will relay your sentiments to IGI to encourage them to use a heavier liner on the softer waxes. And, we will continue to explore cost-effective solutions that we may be able to apply at our warehouse, to get wax to you in better shape.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist you. We appreciate and value your business, and thank you for ordering with Peak Candle Supplies.

Since you're in Missouri, you can order your wax from Morris Wax in Missouri or Kansas: http://www.morriswax.com/Contact.html Maybe you can even drive there to pick it up!

Also, you're not that far from me in OK, so you can order from LoneStar out of Dallas, TX.

Peak's reply doesn't sound good to me! It sounds like, Hey, those are the breaks, kid, tough luck!

Edited by HorsescentS

Since you're in Missouri, you can order your wax from Morris Wax in Kansas: http://www.morriswax.com/Contact.html

Also, you're not that far from me in OK, so you can order from LoneStar out of Dallas, TX.

Peak's reply doesn't sound good to me! It sounds like, Hey, those are the breaks, kid, tough luck!

Thank you. I agree. I'll not buy wax from them again.

I appreciate the info on Morris Wax. Had never heard of them. Will check them out. Otherwise, back to Lone Star it will be.

Thanks, again!

Thank you. I agree. I'll not buy wax from them again.

I appreciate the info on Morris Wax. Had never heard of them. Will check them out. Otherwise, back to Lone Star it will be.

Thanks, again!

Looks like you copied my comment before I edited it to say that Morris Wax is also in Missouri, so maybe you can drive to pick up your wax.

I just sent them an email asking if they sell to individuals and if they allow pickup. If yes to those 2 questions, as a buyer of a slab here and a slab there, I will save myself A LOT of money in shipping (the wax cost from them is still cheaper by case or pallet of course) if they become my wax source.

One place listed is about 10 minutes from my company. I could easily drop by and get wax. Even if they have a pickup fee, it would be better than the double slab price I pay now to account for the shipping. They are distributors of IGI (which is what I use) and Astorlite.

If they indicate they would sell to me, I'd sure love to drop in and pickup 4627 just to play with.

I have searched candle supplies in my area and they never came up in my searching so thank you so much for the tip!

I just sent them an email asking if they sell to individuals and if they allow pickup. If yes to those 2 questions, as a buyer of a slab here and a slab there, I will save myself A LOT of money in shipping (the wax cost from them is still cheaper by case or pallet of course) if they become my wax source.

One place listed is about 10 minutes from my company. I could easily drop by and get wax. Even if they have a pickup fee, it would be better than the double slab price I pay now to account for the shipping. They are distributors of IGI (which is what I use) and Astorlite.

If they indicate they would sell to me, I'd sure love to drop in and pickup 4627 just to play with.

I have searched candle supplies in my area and they never came up in my searching so thank you so much for the tip!

They sell to individuals, I called them on the phone last year. I don't know if they'll do slabs, so you might have to buy a case. But you're so lucky! Just think of all the money you'll save! WOW! If gas wasn't so high I'd drive out there from OK to pick up wax too.

Morris Wax in IL sells to individuals so maybe each location does the same? That is where I get my IGI wax from. They are super speedy with delivery and no packaging issues. I have not bought a case of wax from them yet though to compare, just to be fair to Peak.

My other waxes that I do buy by the case are not IGI so no help there.

Morris Wax in IL sells to individuals so maybe each location does the same? That is where I get my IGI wax from. They are super speedy with delivery and no packaging issues. I have not bought a case of wax from them yet though to compare, just to be fair to Peak.

My other waxes that I do buy by the case are not IGI so no help there.

So, Morris will sell by the slab?

I did not think they were rude. I thought the answer seemed scripted. That's all. I work for a big corporation and even we would have handled a bit differently. Not a worry. I love their oils and their quick shipping time. I just will not buy wax from them again. Especially if I have an in town supplier. I asked to see if others found this typical since I have not had experience with cases. Others did not report similar from other suppliers so I thought that it was not typical and not how it comes from every supplier.

I am learning!