What has been your FO strategy?

justajesuschick

This may pertain more to the hobbyists, like me, because those of you here running successful businesses order FO's by the gallon. I have seen the workshop pics!

I have just ordered from 11-12 suppliers (so far!). I order a dozen or more 1 ounce bottles to try the supplier and then, once in wax, I order 4, 8 or 16 ounce bottles if I have specific favorites. I know I pay a lot more for shipping this way but then I save on not have a lot of big bottles of scents that did not meet my expectation sitting.

I was just curious how others approach this or how you did it when you were new and starting out. Did you do similar or did you just order larger bottles right out of the gate based on reviews and recommendation?

Appreciate hearing your strategy! Thanks!

If I am ordering online I start out with the 1 ozers, but when I go to the local supply I am able to sniff things and decide what I like, then I start out with 8 oz bottles, and if it goes well, ill go back and get lb bottles. When I order from my favorite lady on ebay, I just get the 4 oz bottles, and fortunately I have loved everything ive gotten from her! And it saves me lots of money!!

Edited by FaithfulScenter

When I order from my favorite lady on ebay, I just get the 4 oz bottles, and fortunately I have loved everything ive gotten from her! And it saves me lots of money!!

When doing a search yesterday for Pinion eBay came up with a seller that has great FB on FOs. I'm seriously thinking of giving her/him a try. Maybe its the same person. Prices are good, shipping is very reasonable but the FB is what made me think I want to try.

What I did notice is a lot of the FO names are the same as known suppliers. I'm thinking many might be NG who I haven't used recently due to some weak FOs in the past. Might have to revisit them.

I have done some searches and found her FO's at NG. I think it's usually $5.75 for 4 ounces, and I buy 4 at a time, and it's shipped in a small flat rate box so its like $5 something for shipping. Ive never had a spill, and she always ships super fast! Some of my favs are country bumpkin, Easter bunny burps, vanilla Hazelnut coffee, watermelon taffy, gain mango tango, oh my gosh I could list them all day! And they all have thrown well in paraffin and soy tart blends.

Just checked the person I have saved and her 4 oz FOs are going for $5.70 with shipping at $3.07 for one bottle. I don't know how to put multiple bottles together to check pricing without committing to buying. We may be talking the same seller. The one I found starts with an "S". I've decided I will order a couple on Monday to check the quality. The 1 oz bottles are $2.50 with $2.00 shipping so will definitely get 4 oz samples instead of 1 oz at this place.

Once I get them and test, I'll report back.

The one I use starts with an "A", I just looked, the listed price for 4oz is $5.75, and shipping is $2.75 for 1, but I just go through and commit to buy what I want, send her an email, then she combines shipping and sends me a total, and I pay for all of it at once. She also has some EO's, but I've not bought any of those. She has a ton of scents!!

Edited to add: if I cant list her name here I will pm anybody that wants as soon as I can get in my laptop, I'm on my kindle fixing some breakfast Atm!!

Does that supplier carry Cotton Candy? That is the only FO I need right now from NG and I hate paying more in shipping than the FO for just a 4 or 8 ounce bottle.

I didn't see it going through the pages of FOs. Thought there was only 7 pages but as I went along it kept adding more pages so I gave up....lol. On a search, I didn't get a Cotton Candy result.

Looks like we may be talking two different suppliers.

anyone that is willing, please PM me the name of the ebay sellers that you are referring to. I often need just one and if I could order this way it would save on shipping. Also the candlesource sells on ebay under their same name.

You've got mail. Did you get the other one?

I'm not trying to keep any secrets but just not sure if an eBay seller wants his/her name public. I'll give the name out to anyone via PM.

That's one way she might be able to answer you and not give out her suppliers.

I ran across two of them that have me wondering if they might be two top of the line suppliers due to the name. One is something...Leaves and the other is something...Fairy. I don't remember what she called them exactly. It would be awesome if that was the case.

I have to think is this something my customer base buys? They don't like perfumery florals or overly complex fragrances but there are pockets of patch lover's and eucalyptus lover's. I think about mixer scents that will give me a wider range of fragrances with fewer bottles. I rarely agree with rave reviews but there are some who almost always seem to have deep knowledge and they usually go for expensive companies. I recently sniffed a number of Colonial candles and was so impressed with their clarity and trueness of fragrance (Ct only);and realized my fragrances have lost that quality. I know one of the suppliers being discussed and those have been total losses for me but seem to work tor others. Cheap fos are usually just that IMHO.

She answered back and IT IS WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR!

What quick response! I just sent the email. She also apologized that it would be Monday until she could get it mailed if I ordered today. She seems like a peach!

Chuck-I know what you are saying but I have tried and tried Cotton Candy FO's and NG's is the best to me. I use plenty of other suppliers and would LOVE to get everything I need from just one or two but it has not worked out that cleanly for me. I like a few from lots of places. At the small quantities I use, my shipping is the killer.

I have to think is this something my customer base buys? They don't like perfumery florals or overly complex fragrances but there are pockets of patch lover's and eucalyptus lover's. I think about mixer scents that will give me a wider range of fragrances with fewer bottles. I rarely agree with rave reviews but there are some who almost always seem to have deep knowledge and they usually go for expensive companies. I recently sniffed a number of Colonial candles and was so impressed with their clarity and trueness of fragrance (Ct only);and realized my fragrances have lost that quality. I know one of the suppliers being discussed and those have been total losses for me but seem to work tor others. Cheap fos are usually just that IMHO.

Its true the one I found hasn't been tested yet it seems and could very well be cut. What does cause me to have interest is the feedback from people who have purchased seem to be highly satisfied and her seller amount is 13,000ish.

Normally, I'll stay clear of the too good to be true ones (imo) for the same reason but figure at these low costs I'll spend $20 at each place just to try them out. FS seems very satisfied with her experience. My find doesn't seem to be tried yet. I will report back once I get them in wax.

I'll be your guinea pig Steve :)

Edited by jeanie353
typo

:yay::yay::yay: I told you she was super great!! I have used her since the beginning, and have always had great results!!

She answered back and IT IS WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR!

What quick response! I just sent the email. She also apologized that it would be Monday until she could get it mailed if I ordered today. She seems like a peach!