Lip Balm ?

Buttsmom

My lips are chapped, so I decided to try making lip balm. I don't like what I made, first it's too waxy( I hate that in a lip balm) and 2nd I don't think it did anything for my lips. What gives the lib balm the waxy feeling, is it just the wax you use, the oils, combo of all? This is the recipe I got on line and tried.

1 Tablespoon Mango Butter

2 Tablespoons Sunflower Oil

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil

1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Beeswax

A few drops of Vitamin E Oil

I want to try again with what I have here, but not sure what to try so I don't end up with another batch I'm not going to use. What I have:

Mango Butter

Shea Butter

Beeswax

Olive Oil

Coconut Oil

Grapeseed Oil

Sunflower Oil

Recommendations?

You can re-melt, but you must keep very good notes.

First thing I would do is change the volume measurements to weights. Volume measurements will yield inconsistent results every single time. You may need a little gram scale (available for around $10 on EBay). It will pay for itself in your first couple of batches. I usually make 30 gram test batches with it. It's about 3 tubes worth.

Most formulae for lip balm follow a general rule of thumb regarding proportions. Here's an example from MMS that outlines the basics similarly to most other formularies:

I would start with simple, common oils. I made a lovely lip balm using beeswax, palm, palm kernel and castor using these proportions and was very happy with the results. It was best in the summer and too hard/draggy in the cold winter if not warmed in the pocket.

A few pro friends I know use only cocoa butter, beeswax and jojoba. Or just beeswax, shea and avocado. The proportions make the difference.

I would test individual oils/butters on your skin/lips to see which give you the sensation you prefer before mixing up a bunch of things. For instance, many people I know use fractionated coconut oil because it is a light oil. To me it stings upon application. Some find castor drying - but it can be wonderful when used with complimentary oils. Some like lanolin for a powerhouse of a balm. Until you find the oils with the feel you love you'll be mixing and mixing with limited successes.

No matter what formulations you try, give them at least 3 days to get to their final consistency. They DO change over time.

Thanks, I do actually have a scale and I did convert the recipe before I made it, just forgot when I copied and pasted it from the site. Thanks for the tip about the 3 days, I didn't know that. I will try and be patient and wait for the final verdict on this one. Can I make it without a brittle oil? From the reading I did I don't have anything that would fall under that.