What can I add to soy blend to harden a bit?

I found a great blend for me - using 10 ozs of C-1 with 2 ozs of J50. Zinc wicks are burning beautifully and scent throw is amazing - and I'm using 14 oz tumblers and the Libbey 16 oz apothecary. I would like however, for the wax to burn a bit slower. The wick sizes I need seem to fall between the available sizes.

You'd think I'd know since I've been making candles off and on for 11 years! Guess I've not had this issue! :)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Victoria

Added: Also want to add that I have tried added micro wax 195 and it did harden a bit but didn't burn down cleanly on side of jars.

Edited by VictoriaBee

Beeswax will help harden the wax. Anywhere from 1-5% per lb. You will have to test it out to be sure what amount works best for your candle combo. Too much bw and your candles can crack. Not sure if it will help with making your candles burn slower.

The higher the amount of soy, or vegetable wax you use the longer the candles will burn. Vegetable waxes like soy burn the longest while waxes like paraffin and palm burn faster.

I am playing with making votives (been doing candles for years and still don't like my votives) and Bittercreek recommends adding stearic acid to help firm up the wax and to get it out of the mold. The recommend 5 tablespoons per pound, so maybe you can adjust that for containers?

Kim

• 4 weeks later...